Chapter Two

Chapter Two

"Am I even wearing this correctly?"

I looked up from cutting fruit into cubes for a snack and almost choked on the apple that I had stuck in my mouth. Heat went straight to my groin at the sight of Ambrosius entering the kitchen. He'd changed out of the heavy steel armor and into proper clothing to be worn in this kind of climate. The outfit was entirely black, light and breathable and easy to take off. His black keffiyeh fell around his shoulders to be used for later when we left the mansion. The only colors were the brown and gold designed belts around his waist to keep his robes together and his weapons within reach.

And seeing him decked out entirely in black only made his blue eyes more vibrant. Like the clear skies of the desert. And it only made my body ache even more. I wondered how perfect he'd feel up against me, skin to skin. I wanted to feel those muscles flex and bunch beneath my hands.

"Yes," I said, finding my voice and clearing my throat as I removed the apple and pushed the plate toward him, watching him cock his head at it curiously, "We'll be heading out to the horses so that I can get you comfortable on one before we head into town to make a supply run." Ambrosius just nodded, still eyeing the food before he picked up a couple pieces of fruit and popped them into his mouth. I salivated just watching him slide a strawberry slice onto his tongue.

The amount of sexual arousal I felt in that instant was inconceivable.

"I'll summon Remi to ready the horses." I said, trying to distract myself. Ambrosius's face screwed up at my words, but he said nothing as I held my hand out and ordered Remi from the ring. Remi appeared a moment later after the dark cloud that made up his molecules reformed him. He hesitated at that sight of Ambrosius, who eyed him warily.

"Ready the horses, Remi. We're going on a supply run." I informed. Remi made a face.

"Get the horses ready, Remi. Get a room ready, Remi. Want me to wipe your ass and bake you cookies while I'm at it?" He demanded, putting his hands on his hips. I shrugged.

"Cookies sound good."

"So does suicide." Remi deadpanned, but he spun on his heel and left the kitchen through the sliding glass door that let out into the courtyard so he could go through the whole house to get to the stables faster. I shook my head and turned to the fruit, picking up a few pieces and noticing Ambrosius's frown out the corner of my eye.

"You let him speak to you like that?" He asked me. I chuckled, pushing off the counter as I went to put the bags of fruit away in the fridge.

"Remi is a free-spirit, contrary to his slave brand. Telling him what to do would be like telling a wall to move. I'd have better luck training a defective ADHD hamster than him. Besides," I said, closing the fridge and turning back to Ambrosius, "I find his insubordination refreshing. To the point where I could probably call him my only friend. Don't you have a friend like that?" Ambrosius's frown deepened.

"I don't have friends." He stated. This time, it was my turn to frown. Even I, as far out into the nothingness as you could get, had a friend. Remi was probably my only friend. I had a few spotted acquaintances as well, and of course, my siblings, but at least a friend.

"Surely you have one friend." I offered. Ambrosius waited a moment, then looked down at the strawberry between his fingers before he ate it and shrugged, averting his eyes. There was a distant pain flitting through his eyes, and while I would normally ignore such a thing as none of my business, I couldn't help wanting to soothe it.

"I have a bodyguard," He said at last, but his pained expression became stoic and his thoughts were barred from me as he looked at me, "But we're not close anymore. He rarely speaks to me now and when I try to make conversation, he doesn't want to carry it. I'm sure it has something to do with my father."