Chapter Three

Chapter Three

Ambrosius was very quiet when we returned.

While I'm sure his visit into town had been one of excitement and new experiences, it probably depressed him to know that he would probably never be able to join in such festivities. Or so he thought anyway. I made sure to keep the alcohol and special herb a secret from him as I put them away in the kitchen.

And true to his father's orders, Ambrosius followed me everywhere, like my shadow. He was as silent as a ghost, as watchful as a hawk, and as beautiful as the most forbidden of fruit. A fruit I wanted to sink my teeth in and taste.

Why is it that this is the first time I'd felt such for someone else? I'd slept with plenty of other people, just one-night stands there to sate the animalistic need of sex. None of them ever gave me goosebumps or made my heart flutter like Ambrosius did. No one had ever set my blood on my fire and made my groin throb with this much need. There was something particularly delicious about Ambrosius. Maybe it was the fact that I knew I couldn't have him that made him so tempting.

Or the way his lips slightly parted whenever he got lost in thought. The way his eyes slid around every room we entered, as if scanning for some sort of threat. The way he walked, the way he talked, the way he breathed.

Christ, he was mouthwatering. No wonder Hades valued him so much.

"You're burning holes in my back." Ambrosius deadpanned. I blinked, zoning back in from my dirtiest fantasizes to see Ambrosius studying the artifacts on my walls as we occupied my office. I had completely forgotten about my work and had let my eyes wander to gaze hungrily at Ambrosius's backside while he'd gone off to study the framed weapons and scrollwork on my wall.

"Apologies," I replied nonchalantly, "It's difficult to concentrate on my work today. I think I'm going to break for today." Ambrosius frowned.

"You can do that?" He asked, moving away from the other side of the room to approach my desk. I nodded, getting to my feet and pausing to crack my neck and knuckles before looking at Ambrosius, who continued to watch me with an analytical stare.

"It's my realm. I can do what I please. It might slow things down for my father, but to be honest, he's not particularly in my favor right now." I admitted with a light shrug before moving past Ambrosius for the door. As expected, Ambrosius was just a few steps behind me as we made our way out of the room and down the stairs to the main lobby.

"Why is that?" Ambrosius pressed as we turned down the hall to the kitchen. I tried not to smile at Ambrosius's immense curiosity.

"He didn't tell me about allowing pagan souls into my realm ahead of time and it irks me that he thinks he has complete control over me. I'm a big boy. I know what I want and what I don't want." I responded as I went to the fridge to take out some ingredients to make pizza. Ambrosius was watching me, fascinated by my movements before meeting my eyes curiously.

"But he's Lucifer."

"And I'm Thorn. What's your point?" I asked. Ambrosius obviously didn't comprehend the fact that my father had no control over me, and he didn't want to usually. Lucifer was quite lenient with his children. He knew very well that we weren't minions to be commanded, but his children to be loved and protected. But we were his children and there were times when Lucifer felt he had a say in what happened to us. This was taking it too far, though, making a deal with Hades.

I personally did not want to let the pagan souls reside here. It meant more work for me and that I may have to hire some assistance and Remi was just enough for me. I couldn't handle speaking to more people. It wasn't anxiety so much as the little things about people that irritated me.