Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

We rode into town, the rich music filling the streets, dancers taking over the stage with intricate patterns of dance steps, merchants calling out excitedly for customers. We moved to the horse stables a few blocks down and tied our horses there. I summoned Remi, who groaned as he appeared sitting on the top of one of the stable doors quite precariously.

"Babysit the horses, Remi. Take care of all my sweaty soldiers, Remi. I'm starting to see a pattern here, boss, and I ain't too fond of it." He grunted. I smiled.

"I'll buy you something special while I'm out."

"What am I? Your hoe?"

"Well, if you want to call yourself that--"

"Aye, no. Get outta here before I get sick." Remi scoffed, waving me off and folding one leg over the other in a pompous pose. I shook my head, then gestured for Ambrosius to follow me as we made our way from vendor to vendor, purchasing as much as we could to sustain the soldiers at least for tonight and tomorrow while they adjusted. I made sure to purchase plent of meat and wine while Ambrosius picked up things like bread and vegetables.

"Lord Thorn," One of the female vendors murmured when Ambrosius had turned to watch the dancers at the stage, "Who is your friend?"

"His name is Ambrosius. He's the son of Hades." I informed her with a smile. Her eyes semed to glow and for a moment, I thought she was going to flirt with him before she gave me a warm smile.

"You seem very close." She commented. I had no idea how she figured that out when we didn't do anything too out of the ordinary. Ambrosius wouldn't let me flirt with him in public, because his paranoia led him to believe that someone would happily inform Hades of his son's intentions for a buck. It was frustrating. I couldn't flirt with him here and I couldn't flirt with him at home either.

"How did you pick up on it?" I asked, tilting my head as I handed her a bag of mangoes I had picked out. She took them and weighed them to get the value and I paid her with a ruby ring.

"It's a feeling," She said, placing the ring on to admire it before looking at me with a smirk, "And he's eyeing you like a piece of candy." I arched a brow at that and turned to look at Ambrosius, who instantly snapped his head around to scowl at the streets. I smirked at that, then thanked the vendor and came to Ambrosius's side.

"I want to grab one more thing before we go." I said, and he just nodded silently, looking a bit embarrasse at being caught. It bought another smile to my face. I led Ambrosius through the crowd and down the street, making my way to a secluded area. As soon as I was sure we were safe, and I checked the small street to make sure we were alone and the windows to the shops and homes nearby were closed, I turned to Ambrosius, who frowned at me curiously. I dropped my bag and pushed him up against the wall, making him gasp before I covered his mouth with mine. He squirmed a little at first and tried to push me off, then eventually dropped his bags to grab onto my shoulders.

"Someone's gonna see." He mumbled against my lips. I nipped at his bottom lip and he moaned deep in his throat, making me lick my lips.

"No one's around to see," I answered, running my hand down the side of his torso to savor the feel of his muscles rippling with tension, "Calm down. I want to spend a little time with you alone before we have to go back and Xenon gets in my way." Ambrosius considered that, then sighed and looked around again, doubling checking before he looked back at me. He looked like he was pouting. My control shattered and I took him by the hips, pulling him up against me, so he was trapped between me and the wall. Ambrosius groaned as I pressed my hips into his and trailed my lips to his throat, savoring the taste of sweat and salt on his skin. I moved a hand up and sank it into his hair before cupping his cheek when he turned his head to face me, his eyes studying me.