Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six

"You bastard!"

I looked up with a frown as Dania came storming into my office, fists clenched and cheeks flushed with rage. She didn't hesitate to lunge over my desk to grab for my throat, but I pulled out of her reach and she went to move around the desk, but I sent a blast at her, gentle enough to stop her, but enough to make it count. She bared her teeth at me.

"Why are you sending Alexis back home?! He isn't a treacherous dickhead like the others!" She shouted, reaching for me again, but I stepped out of her way, frowning. Judging from her choice of words, she knew about Hades's plan now. I made a mental note to punch someone for that little slip up.

"Dania, I'm doing this for our safety. We can't trust him." I told her sternly. Dania snarled at me and lunged for me again, but I spun out of her way and she shouted in frustration, clenching her fists and slamming them down on my desk, sending a crack rushing through the center. I scowled at that, then looked up meet Dania's flashing angry eyes.

"Alexis isn't a traitor."

"Look, I don't know what Raven told you--"

"Raven didn't tell me, douche canoe! Alexis did," Dania snapped, making me frown, "He told me about Hades's plan this morning. And then you come along and tell him he has to go home? He just betrayed Hades for me! There's no way he's going back there. If Hades finds out he told me, he'll kill him."

"So what? He gave a little bit of information away. That doesn't make him special. I don't want him here." I informed her flatly. Dania clenched her teeth, then curled her lip and pushed away from my desk. She shoved past me, slamming her shoulder into mine. I frowned, turning around to watch her go to the door.

"Fine," She snapped, glaring at me over her shoulder, "It's not up to you anyway. I'm taking Alexis back to my penthouse in Hell." My temper flared at that and I sent my powers out, slamming the door shut before she could walk out. Dania bared her teeth again and I glared at her.

"Don't be stupid, Dania. You've only known him for a week, if less."

"And you only knew Ambrosius a month."

"Dania, that's different--"

"No, it's not," Dania snapped impatiently, coming to stand in front of me, jabbing her finger into my chest as she spoke, "I've waited my whole life to find someone like Alexis, and I'm not about to let my over-protective brother get in the way. I'm a big girl, Thorn. I can take care of myself. If Alexis turns out to be a traitor to me, then fine, whatever. We both know what'll happen to him. Don't jump all over me just because you're pissed about Ambrosius leaving you. Alexis is coming with me and that's final. We'll be gone after Ambrosius leaves, because I want to say goodbye to him. What about you?" Without another word, she snapped her fingers in my face and left my office, slamming the door shut. I grimaced, wanting to go after her, but not sure whether I wanted to apologize or shake the stupidity out of her.

Instead, I sighed heavily and sank down into my seat, elbow on the arm of my chair. No, what I really wanted was to go find Ambrosius and find a way to take him away from here, just the two of us. To forget all about this stupid war.

But responsibility kept me rooted in place. It made my heart ache. I'd never felt like this before. It was a hundred times worse than the pain the wraith had thrust in my face. Because this was cold hard reality and I loathed it to my very core.

Fed up with my self-loathing, I got up from my chair and left my office, taking a walk to the stables, only to slow down when I saw Ambrosius there with Xenon. I concealed my presence and walked to the outside of the stables, remaining quiet as I listened to Ambrosius vent as he fed Bethani.