Chapter 10

I don't understand why she got so excited over this outfit. All it is, is a black jumpsuit. What's the big deal?

"So do you like it?" Portia asked.

"Um, I love it." I lie to her not wanting to make an enemy out of one of my only friends I have here.

"Great! OH! Look! Here comes Katniss and Cinna!"

I turn in the direction Portia was looking and see Katniss in the same black jumpsuit as I am in.

"Hey," I say.

"Hey."

"Alright!" sings Portia. "All set?" she turns to Cinna.

"Yeah, I think so. Just one more thing," He turns and grabs a small remote off of the chariot. He hands it to Katniss. "When you get out their, wait exactly 7 seconds and push the red button," He smiles.

"What will it do?" asks Katniss.

"You'll see."

"Oh, and before you push the button, make sure you are stead and ready for an...explosion!" says Portia as three Peacekeepers help us onto our chariot.

"Do you know anything about this?" Katniss turns to me.

"Well, when we first got here, Portia said something about the opening ceremonies and..." my stomach knots up at the thought. "Fire."

"What? Fire? Are you sure?"

"Well, there's only one way to find out," I say as we start moving.  

When District 1's chariot rolls into view of the Capital people, they go crazy. From all the way back here, I still here all of Capital people screaming and shouting for District 1.

As we get closer to the Presidents mansion, the people get louder and louder. Finally, when we get to District 11, I take hold of Katniss' hand and look at her.

"Ready?" I ask.

"Ready." 

As we go through the Grand entryway, I see the Capital people all around us. In the midst of all the commotion, I forgot all about all about the button until Katniss started to count.

"One...Two...three...four...five...six...seven!" She pushes the button and I grab on to the side of chariot. Heat rises all around me, but I cant find the source. I look over at Katniss and am amazed. She is on fire, but she stands as still as a statue. Does she not know she is on fire? Why isn't she freaking out?

Then I realize that I am on fire as well. Our whole bodies are engulfed in flames. I cant help but wonder if they are real. They cant be. If it was real, the fire would burn the jumpsuits right off of us, then our skin would be gone too. Is that what they are doing? Burning our clothes off and killing us in front of the whole nation? But then I realize they cant because then District 12 wouldn't have any tributes in the Games this year. They are going to let the fire burn just long enough to burn our skin to a crisp, and send us into the Games.

I suddenly hate my self for actually thinking I could trust Portia. I wonder if the story she told about coming from District 12 is real. There is no way to tell now. I look at mine and Katniss' linked hands. The flames and covering our hands, but I fell only a small amount of heat. Our jumpsuits are as perfect as ever, too. Why hasn't the fire destroyed them? Why are our hands just as they were before we left, even engulfed in flames? 

I came to the realization just as we reach the Presidents mansion. The flames are fake. They never tried to kill us. They were just making us the highlight of the show, and we certainly were. I suddenly feel bad about doubting Portia and Cinna.

When we come to a stop, I catch a glimpse of us on the screen hanging over the road. I see that we are not beautiful, or pretty. We are stunning.

It is sick to see these people clapping their hands and cheering for us. These people have no idea how much pain the Games cause for each and every family in the districts. I scan the crowed one last time. I catch two little kids pretending to stab each other with plastic swords, and the people around them start laughing. It's sick.