Chapter 2

Gale POV

"Peeta Mellark!" yelled Effie Trinket.

Everybody stares at the 16 year old boy a few feet in front of me. He falls to his knees and starts crying. Poor kid, I think. I would sure hate to be him! I look up at Katniss on the stage and wonder how she so easily took the place of Prim. Peeta tries to get up, but ends up falling back into me. Thankfully I was aware and caught him. He looks up at me and I realize what I have to do.

"I'll take his place," I say. "I volunteer as tribute!" Gosh. I can't believe I just did that. But it had to be done.

"Oh my goodness!! I cant believe my ears! Two volunteers in one reaping!" Screams Effie."It's a miracle!"

Someone takes Peeta and I make my way up to Katniss. She is staring at me the way she does her prey right before she attacks. I am as good as dead, I think.

"Shake hands you two!!"says Effie. As soon as Katniss lets go of my hand, we are being pulled into the Justice Building. Once we enter the building, peacekeepers swarm us and put Katniss and me into different rooms to say our goodbyes.

As soon as the door closes, it opens again and Rory, Vick, Posy, and my mother walk in. I pick up Posy and hug her for what seems like forever. Then I turn to Rory and Vick.

"You guys have to be brave. For mom and Posy, alright?" I see a tear shed from Rory's eye. I pull them both into a hug. When I release them, I walk over to my mother and hug her. "It will be alright. I promise."

"Please come home, Gale." she whispers.

"I'll try mom. I love you."

"I love you, too"

The door opens and peacekeepers pull my family out. Posy runs over to me and I scoop her up one last time.

"I love you, Posy. I'll see you soon" I set her down and she runs after my mother and brothers. I sit down on the plush couch just as someone knocks on the door. Who else would want to see me?, I think.

Then the last person I thought would come and see me walks in the door.

Peeta Mellark.

"Peeta?" I ask, "What are you doing here?"

"What do you mean, 'What are you doing here?' You saved me from certain doom. I had to thank you. So, Thank you!"

"Umm.. your welcome?" I say, uncertain. Then, it is the first time I really think of what I did for him. I am his HERO! Of course he would come say goodbye to me. "Your welcome" I repeat, louder this time.

"I would have never had the courage to do what you did, even if it was to protect my best friend" he replies.

"Well," I start, "It certainly wasn't easy doing it. I mean, I'm leaving my mother, brothers, and sister. But what could I do? When you fell into me, I saw the pain in your eyes, so I had to save you, even if it means me dying."

He opens his mouth to speak, but he is interrupted by the peacekeepers coming in.

"I will never be able to thank you enough" he manages to get out before the peacekeepers take him out of the room.