Chapter 8

When I wake, I"m in a strange room that I don't recognize. I immediately wonder about Katniss. Where is she? She wouldn't have rebelled against the Capital people, so she didn't get knocked out, most likely.

This is the first time i realize what they did to my body. I scan my body and find bruises all over me.

What did they do to me? I hear a distant squeal that could only belong to one person. Katniss. I jump up and run to the door. Locked. I start banging and pounding on the door.

"Let me out! Now!" There is no answer. Of course not. They put me in here for a reason. They aren't just going to let me roam free. I go and sit on the bed and wait for someone to come get me.

After a while, the door opens and a Capital woman with huge hair walks in. "Hello. My name is Portia and I am your personal stylist. I"m sorry my assistants had to make you unconscious but you were very uncooperative. You must be Gale."

I sigh. "Yes, I am. I am very sorry for not working with those people. They didnt tell me who they were, or what they were going to do to me. I am very sorry. They started attacking with those little pointy things! I didn't know what else to do!"

"It's alright. Don't worry about it. I think they liked your aggressive attitude. After all, this is the first year in many that we have a tribute that actually has a chance."

I don't know what to say. Does she mean Katniss, or me? Me, I think. "Thank you" is all I can say. The only person who has given me any encouragement the whole trip what-so-ever.

She sits on the bed next to me. "Now, about the opening ceremonies! I was talking to Cinna, the other District 12 stylist, and we decided to do something extraordinary!"

"Like what?"

"Fire!"