Chapter 20

When I feel the large tube I'm in start to rise, all of the nervousness I have felt since I've been in the Capital is gone. The top of the tube opens and I am blinded for a moment by the intensity sun. Suddenly the tube stops moving and I feel a cool breeze. 

I'm in the arena.

I blink quickly, trying to gain my sight back.

I look around me and see green. I can't make it out yet. I turn the other way. I can make out a big, brown field. I look to the right of me. I can't make out who it is. I can only make out long hair. I look to my left. All I can make out is a big, muscular figure. 

I look behind me again. I can start to make the green color into shapes. Trees. Trees, and trees, and more trees. A forest. I can't help but think about how much it reminds me of Katniss and I's forest outside of 12. Katniss. 

I turn back around. I see that the tribute on my right is the girl from 5, and on my left is Thresh, the boy from 11. I look for Katniss, but I can't see her. She must be on the other side of the Cornucopia. 

The cornucopia looks just like it did on the television. A big metal structure with weapons on the inside. On the ground all around the pedestals, there are backpacks of various sizes, boulders with weapons around them, sleeping bags, and tents. 

Just then, I hear the announcer, Claudius Templesmith's, voice ring out over the entire arena. 

"Happy Hunger Games. And may the odds be ever in your favor."

The next 60 seconds are the longest of my life. With every number that Claudius screams out, the faster my heartbeat gets. By 30, I could hear it in my ears. I was trembling. 

Finally the gong rang out. 

AN: Hey guys!, Sorry there was no update last week and that this chapter isn't very long or exciting. Anyway, the next chapter should still be out next Tuesday and we will get into the Games!!