Chapter 22

As we approach the Cornucopia, I see the other Careers sorting the other weapons. Marvel, the boy from 1, yells out first. 

"Hey, Cato! Where've  you been?"

The girl from 1, Glimmer, turns around and joins Marvel. 

"Yeah, we started to think that he had killed you." She nodded towards me. 

"Really? You guys have so much faith in your leader." Cato said, smiling.

"Leader? Who in their right mind would make you the leader?" Marvel said, grabbing a knife off of the top of the supply pile.

"I did," Cato said, grinning his snarly grin. 

"Really, Cato? You know you..." Marvel started.

"Guys! Enough! We'll figure this out when Clove gets back. But for right now, what is he doing here?" She pointed a long sword at my chest.

"He's with us now. He's a Career now." Cato said.

Yeah. That's what you think. I smile at myself. 

Later that night

"It's going to be dark soon, Cato. You sure someone shouldn't go out looking for her?" Glimmer walked over to Cato, who was sitting at the entrance of our little tent. 

"Clove is fine, Glimmer. Now, make yourself useful and go gather fire wood from the pile." He snapped at her. 

As she walks away, she sticks her tongue out at him and makes a face. Marvel, who's sitting across the text in the corner, snickers. 

Cato spins around, fury in his eyes. "What are you laughing at?"

Marvel sits up straighter. "Nothing."

Man, you can feel the tension from over here, I thought, sitting on a bed of grass in the opposite corner from Marvel. 

As the night went on, Clove never showed up, and Cato got more and more on edge. He was snapping at every little thing Marvel or Glimmer said. I just sat quietly and waited. 

Finally, Panem's National Anthem started blasting from all directions. We all walked outside and looked to the sky as the faces of the fallen tributes were flashed. 

The first face flashed in the darkening sky was the girl from district 4. A look of relief came upon Cato's face. 

He looked at Glimmer and smiled. "See! I told you so!"

Glimmer just rolled her eyes and returned her attention to the faces of the fallen tributes in the sky.

Both tributes from 4. The boy from 5. Both from from 6 and 7. The boy from 8. Both from 9. 

I counted in my head. 

10. One more tribute's picture  will be up in the sky. Is it Katniss?

I look down at the ground, not wanting to see my best friends picture in the sky. 

Just then, I heard Cato's voice yell over the anthem. 

"WHAT?" 

His voice was followed by murmurs by Glimmer and Marvel. 

I look up at the last picture in the sky. The girl from 10. 

"How is that possible? What happened?" Cato yelled. 

She's alive! She got away from Clove! I feel a smile creeping on my face, but immediately contain it. 

I glanced over at the others. Cato is pacing back and forth. Marvel and Glimmer are talking quietly themselves, watching Cato's every step. 

Suddenly, Panem's national Anthem started to play again, along with a picture of Panem's seal. 

Finally, the sky went dark and all you could hear were the crickets in the forest. 

Cato's paused mid-step and turned to the forest. "Everybody to bed, now. We have a big day tomorrow. I'll take the first watch." He spun back around and sat down in front of the tent. 

I look at Glimmer and Marvel. 

"What.." I start to ask, but am cut off by Marvel. 

"Listen. Your new here, so i'll help you out. When it comes to dealing with Cato and his temper, just don't ask."

I nod my head. 

"Good." And with that, he walks into the tent. 

Hey guys! What do you think? Leave some comments with suggestions or predictions. Also, what do you guys think about switching between Katniss and Gale's POV now that they are in games, so you know what's happening with Katniss too? Just a thought. Anyway, don't forget to vote as well! We really appreciate it! Thanks for reading! <3