TWENTY-FIVE

TWENTY-FIVE

The first week went surprisingly fast. Vivian was slightly surprised at how much she was enjoying going to an actual school rather than being home schooled by James and Piper. As the week had gone on, Vivian had found it easier to ignore the insults with her new friends standing by her side. Lizzie had become almost like a mother wolf protecting her pups as soon as someone even thought to bully one of her friends. Damon's name hadn't been mentioned again, and Vivian had found out that the three she had seen on her first day by their bikes were the Dager brothers. Dee and the twins Rikky and Alex. Dee was the youngest.

Kave bumped her hip with his large head, bringing Vivian out of her thoughts and back to the whipping wind and the players running on the field, warming up.

Lizzie and Willow had turned up this morning to ask whether Vivian wanted to come and watch a match of rugby since both Matt and Dane played. Vivian had quickly agreed and was now standing next to Willow with Lizzie on Willow's other side. Kave moved to lay down in front of them, resting his large head on his large paws to watch the players run and warm up.

Hearing a sound that had become stupidly familiar, Vivian refused to turn to see the Dager brothers arrive on their bikes.

"Nice to see they've turned up," Lizzie grumbled.

"What do you mean?" Vivian cursed her silly curiosity about the Dager brothers.

"Alex and Rikky always come to play since they joined back in January. It's Dee that makes them late."

That was something Vivian had wondered about, had Lizzie tried to date one of the brothers? Why else did she only grumble when the Dager brother's names seem to pop up? Vivian wanted to ask, but she didn't. She'd only known them a week, she didn't want to say something that might cause Lizzie to dislike her.

"At least they're here," Willow pointed out. Willow was kind, kind to everyone, even to those that chose to bully her. Vivian wasn't sure whether to call her stupid or try to understand how Willow saw the world. Willow said that if she was nice to others, they'd be nice to her. Lizzie had said that that was a child's thought. That the world didn't work that way. And unfortunately, Vivian had to agree with Lizzie. Vivian hadn't done anything to her previous families. They'd just hated her. Until James and Piper. Again, Vivian sighed in relief that James and Piper had given her a chance with them.

The coach called out to the Dager brothers who'd stripped themselves of their protective biker gear to reveal that they were already in their rugby gear. Vivian met Dee's eyes as he passed her. His eyes were vibrant blue. Cat like. Or were they more slit-like, snake-like? Dee's head snapped to Kave as Kave stood to growl gently, neon blue eyes glowing gently.

Dee's lips formed a word none of them could hear as the three brothers turned to stare at Kave in shock, before looking at Vivian then back at Kave. Alex pushed Dee so that he started running and the three ran up to the coach.

"Dude, your dog's eyes are glowing," Lizzie said, shock coating her words.

But looking back down at Kave, his eyes were the normal neon blue colour again. Vivian knew that it wasn't everyday that you found a pure black dog. Or a bulky Great Dane built dog. Or a dog with neon blue coloured eyes. But Vivian had gotten used to that. What she wasn't used to was Kave's eyes glowing as though there had been a flame lit behind them.

"Must have been the light," Vivian said, even though she knew it wasn't. Because Kave just wasn't an everyday dog.

"Yea, sure," Lizzie said, silently agreeing to forget the glowing eyes. If they had been glowing. Which they hadn't. Because that just wasn't possible. Everybody turned back to watch the guys warm up as though Kave's eyes hadn't glowed. As though he was a normal dog.