THREE

THREE

Present.

"How?" Willow's mumble pulled Ashley back to the present. Looking at Willow showed that she was staring at a piece of paper in confusion.

"What's wrong?" Ashley found herself asking.

"Nothing," Willow automatically answered, her eyes never moving away from the work she was doing. "Psychology."

Ashley rolled her eyes at the word. Humans would never truly understand themselves. Their were far too many minds. Too many outcomes. Their would always be another answer in another's mind. The best they did was invent. And kill.

Glancing at the clock made Ashley grimace internally. Only ten minutes had past. Now she had another fifty to entertain herself with. Ashley eyed Catherine up, but then realised that she couldn't do anything because Jayden would have a fit. And the humans would freak out if Catherine suddenly burst into flames or started bleeding everywhere.

But letting her mind wonder was probably one of the worst things she could have done. Because her mind took her back to Damon Counte. The male with pure white hair that looked to have been dipped in pure gold. The male with the heavenly scent that Ashley... No! Ashley slammed down a mental wall between herself and her other side that wanted nothing more than to find the boy and drink it's fill. No. But those eyes. Cat eyes. Silver tinted with blue. They were silver pools that...

She growled at her thoughts. Why? Why now? Did the fates want to kill thousands of vampyre's and tip the balance to destroy the world? As dramatic as it sounded, it was the truth.

I could leave the school, Ashley thought. But I promised. And it would make me a coward. Running from a harmless human. Harmless Damon Counte was not. If he were harmless, Ashley wouldn't want him.

Eventually, the ring of the bell went, and Ashley, so deep in thought, jumped internally. Dangerous. Even thinking about him was dangerous. Ashley looked over at Catherine to see whether the female had noticed Ashley's absent mind. Not that Catherine could have killed Ashley, it was impossible for a vampyre to kill an original. But still... if it had been Ravin or Suresha...

Damon was death. Damon's name said what he was, a demon. Dangerous. Harmful, not harmless.

Or an angel of death.

Scenting the air and glancing around casually, Ashley scented the different scents that hadn't been there before. An enemy could have entered and she wouldn't have realised. Their was a new scent that Ashley did trust however. Jayden had obviously just entered and was currently pulling out the seat next to Catherine as Willow said "good-bye" and left with her bulk of belongings.

"They aren't that bad here," Jayden stated. "Some are immature, but most of them are fun."

And some are dangerous. "Where were you?" Ashley asked the question Catherine had been unable to truly answer.

"Hanging around with some students."

"What were their names?" Catherine asked her 'mate' in a quiet voice.

"Lizzie; Matt; Dane; and Damon."

"Damon?" Ashley asked her attention focusing completely on Jayden.

"Damon Counte. Why?"

"He is in my English class." A stupid answer, she knew. She wouldn't have reacted as she had unless it had been more. Which it had, and by the look on the vampyre's face's, they were thinking the same. But a glare from Ashley solved that.

At the same time, Ashley had to actually try and withhold the snarl that rose. Of all the students, why him? Why did Jayden have to make friends with him? Standing, the two vampyre's watched in curiosity. "I'm going to phone Kayline."