SEVEN

SEVEN

"Don't scratch her."

Ashley watched as Jayden drove away in her Chevy. After having debated with herself throughout the night, Ashley decided that Anya had to be dealt with. Dead or alive, Anya had to be gone. And for the first time since Ashley could remember, it wasn't her vampyre's she feared for. It was the human with white hair dipped in gold and silver-blue cat-like eyes.

After having showered, Ashley dressed appropriately. Her shirt said "BLOODHOUND" in blood red, bleeding, and a hellhound was tracking beneath the words, snarling.

Then she did something she hadn't done in a long time. Ashley fished out her phone and dialled a friend that was even older than Anya.

"Kitty-Cat," a voice of thunder said once the connection had been made, using the familiar nickname. "How nice of you to call me."

"Will you take Anya to America?" into your territory? Ravin's territory was the entire U.S.A. as Europe was Ashley's and Asia was Suresha's.

"Temporarily?" Ravin asked, picking up the no nonsense tone of Ashley's voice.

"Permanently. Her life will become yours."

"And why do you want to transfer Anya? She gone psycho?"

"Yes."

"Then she needs to be dealt with, Kitty-Cat."

"She's an old friend."

"Umm... your friendship is three thousand years old if I remember."

"And a half, give or take a decade."

"You still have a soft spot for the child?" Ravin tutted. "Still, Ashley..."

"I don't want to kill mine."

"So you'll sacrifice many instead?"

"Stop questioning me, K.D.," K.D. meant Kind Death, Ashley's nickname for Ravin Storm. "I have no proof that she has truly lost her mind."

"So why do you wish to transfer her if she may be no danger? If she may be sane?"

As seconds past, Ashley debated as she had before telling her vampyre's. "I've found my mate."

Silence greeted her. "Kitty-Cat, you know that 'mate's' is a way of claiming, you can't actually sense your mate. Ashley, we don't have mates."

"What if we do, K.D.?"

"Your very serious about something that we–"

"Ravin! I have a god damn mate and I want to damn well protect him," as Ashley spoke, her voice changed to other. "If that means sending Anya overseas, I will do it."

Did I really say that? She knew that her vampyre's would be staring at her in shock if they'd just heard her. But, what she said... felt right. Damon was her mate and he would be Anya's number one choice to grab if she knew that piece of information. Therefore, Anya had to leave. But killing Anya? An old friend?

Ravin sighed. "I'm coming over." A pause. "Ashley? Don't get connected to your boy. I need someone of my age around here. And I don't want to have to do clean up when your vampyre's turn to dust once I've killed you."

The phone line went dead with Ashley rolling her eyes but feeling lighter than she had before. She knew what Ravin thought. Coming over now meant that he would either try to persuade her to forget the 'mate thing' or he would be ready to kill her if her mate sent her insane.

In that moment, Ashley realised why Killian and Estiny had gone mad. Their mates hadn't killed them. It had been the loss of their mates, the inability to cope without them. The unwillingness to continue, even if by going mad and dying would kill all of their vampyre's. The loss of their mates life was... unthinkable, therefore they returned back to their states before the angels had even given the originals the ability to think. Just a little more destructive.