TEN

TEN

Having spent the day before with Damon made Ashley that much more determined to find Anya. But, as usual, Anya was no where in sight and all Ashley could think about was how good it had felt being held in Damon's arms after he'd pulled her away from Ravin.

As soon as it was twenty past three, Ashley left her search and returned to the hotel to get her Hummer. Neither Jayden nor Catherine had gone in today. Not that she could blame Jayden, she had hardly been in because of Anya. Ashley wouldn't be surprised if a teacher tried to scold her for her attendance. Although, they'd come up with an idea saying that Ashley had a rare blood disease and that was why she was missing school. It wasn't even a lie, minus the disease, her blood worked differently to a humans. It was alien to those who didn't know of originals. Originals had blood cells that weren't really blood but ate blood. Like little machines. Vampyre blood was more human but had a couple of the cells an original had, hence why they had to drink blood to survive.

Arriving at the school, Ashley pulled around the back. She didn't even have to press the horn to get Damon's attention. Or get out the car. He'd just said good-bye to his friends and headed straight for her and climbed into the Hummer with a blinding smile and a hi.

It took a couple of seconds for Ashley to be able to mumble a response. Fate was killing her. Driving off the school's property, Ashley drove.

"Why weren't you in?"

Ashley had been expecting the question of where she was taking him, not that she'd have been able to answer, because she had no clue herself. "Hunting for Anya," there was a pause. "I think that I am actually starting to experience stress. I don't like it."

Damon chuckled in amusement, which calmed Ashley. "Welcome to the human world."

Ashley rolled her eyes before pulling the Hummer over after several minutes of driving. Looking around, she knew that she was several miles out of Bugbrooke, and it wasn't in the direction of the clearing, the bar, or the newly built Vayre hotel.

Damon followed her as she climbed out. "Taking me hunting?" he said in amusement as he looked around with a confused expression on his face.

"No." Their was absolutely no chance of Ashley taking her mate hunting. She wouldn't say it out loud, but having the human near made her vulnerable to attack because she would defend her mate before herself. She hated the feeling of vulnerability, but he was her mate, and she felt better having him close.

Scenting the air told Ashley that Damon's scent was still as strong as ever, but that their was also a vampyre near. It wasn't Anya because she didn't have a scent. Before she could get a hold of who the vampyre was, Damon's voice distracted her.

"What's wrong with Anya anyway?"

"She lost her mate." Turning to look at Damon showed that he was looking at her with a confused expression and Ashley didn't like it. His expression was confused too often. "My vampyre's told me that a mate is everything. Their is nothing they wouldn't do for them and they would protect their mate from death if they could." Ashley smiled at a memory. "They even try to protect them from me."

Ashley started walking and Damon walked next to her. After a few minutes of silence, Ashley spoke again.

"I've started to rethink of why Killian and Estiny went insane."

"And what do you think now?" Damon's voice was quiet, and without her hearing, she wouldn't have heard him over the sudden blast of wind that hit.

"That they went insane because they couldn't exist without their mate's. Their was no balance, no peace without their mate. No home."