Chapter 4- Progress

Averi's P.O.V

"Do you really have everything under control?" I asked as I took a seat in front of Shamon. "Because it doesn't take magic to see when someone is only telling part of the truth."

He had placed himself in the center of the room, atop an elevated platform surrounded by glittering puddles and dew covered stones. Sunlight shown through one hole in the ceiling of the Shaman's Cave, dancing down on him and making his fur glow like the morning sun.

His face was blank as he began to clear his mind. "I had to say something to keep everyone calm, my dear. If I told them the truth, then they would have panicked."

"But there has to be something we can do!" I argue. "We can't just let the pack believe a lie, it would make things worse if they were to find out."

He seemed confident about his decision. "Sometimes it's better to tell a lie than to scare with the truth."

Deep down, this felt wrong. "You know as well as I do that fear is what keeps people alive!"

"Not in all cases my dear." He argues calmly, not even raising his voice. "Fear is taken in many different ways, either as a strength or weakness. For this kind, it is weakness. We are afraid of fear, because on this planet, fear will get you killed."

Only when he put it that way did it make a sense, but I still wasn't convinced we should hide it. I could disagree all I want, but that still doesn't give me the right to question his actions. "Well all I saw at the den was black smoke. Do you have any idea what's happening inside?"

Again silence, but after another few second, Shamon slowly opens both eyes. "It started a few days after you left. First it was just blackness inside the den, so dark you couldn't send a tails length in. Next came the smoke, like something was burning underground."

"It's coming from father." I say. "I remember times when he would grow so angry, a mist would start to form around him."

"Then that is exactly what's happening." He replies. "Your father was never good at controlling his anger. That's why the demon so easily took control, he lets the anger fester and grow inside of him rather than forget it. He did not know how to move on. His anger is what's causing this, because the demon just keeps feeding and feeding."

"But why should father be angry?" I asked. "If he was still there, under the evil, he would have understood why I had to leave!"

"But that is not what the demon wants. It craves anger and hate." Shamons lips curled into a small snarl, something I only seen happen to him when he was truly angry. "It has grown extremely powerful. It now somehow has the capability to transform any emotion felt on the inside into negative energy to feed off of."

I was confused. "How does it do that? The only thing demons feed off of is negative emotions, like greed and and anger, not things like sadness or mourning."

"But that does not mean those emotions can't be manipulated." He explained. "Sadness can be turned into pain, and pain can be turned into anger. It's like navigating through the mountains. There are many paths and corners you will come across, and it's your decision on how to react to them. If you choose the right paths, you ascend to the top, but if you choose wrong, then you begin to descend."

He began losing me, I didn't see how any feeling we felt could somehow be transformed into a negative energy unless that is what it already was. I could tell though that he just wanted to drop the conversation, and I understood why. My father was tearing himself apart, and there was nothing we could do to help him.

"That's enough thinking, child." He says, almost reading my mind. "Worrying will only upset your emotions, and I need them calm for the test."

I stuttered. "What will you do?"