Chapter 9- Words From a Friend

I straighten my back and walk over to Mika and the Titans. Of course the white wolf wouldn't want to stick around for this, she was lucky to not hurl all over somebody during the fights.

I didn't even get to watch as I was led through the trees quickly before any other wolves decided to stray around the corner and see us.

After we had gotten a good bit away from the ring, our pace slowed to a walk as we were finally allowed to catch our breath. I could hear the nighttime animals around us, chirping and buzzing as a new life was released in the forest. We weren't able to enjoy it though.

The humans were in pain. I could tell just by how they walked, every step just torture to their aching muscles. "Why did you guys come back?" I asked, glancing over my shoulder at them. "Those were Northerners! I mean, they weren't the toughest ones I've fought, but still, you could have died!"

Robin was the one to answer. "We never actually left." He admitted. "We started in the trees as you fought, but when that wolf had you by the neck, we had to jump in and help."

I scoffed. "I could have had it. Next time I tell you to run, listen to me!"

It wasn't as rough as it sounds. I was grateful to the, and they knew that, but it was a very senseless choice. Senseless, yet bold.

Mika seemed to be the least worried about the humans thick skulls. "Their not the only ones who got a beating." She gently runs her finger along the wound on my back, which was still bubbling blood. "No getting out of it this time, A. You're gonna need stitches."

"Nothing worse than what I've had before." I reply blankly. "Besides, this might actually leave a cool scar to prove I was actually won a fight against the North."

I hear her heave a long sigh. "I would much like to forget it. You guys were lucky the humans came back, otherwise you'd be a pool of blood by now."

That actually made me laugh. "Please! I could take on any Northerner that came my way." I don't think she liked my sudden burst of confidence. "I'm just disappointed that nobody was there to see it."

She gives a sharp growl. "I see you're still the same as when you first left. You not afraid of death, because your small brain is too focused on trying to look cool!" My ears flattened to my head as she draws back from her attack. "I was hoping the humans would have beaten that out of you by now."

I scoff. "Mika, I'm still the same wolf I was before, and like it or not, I'm gonna be like this tomorrow, and the day after that and the day after that. No human can change that so easily, it's how have been my whole life!"

I attempt to stomp ahead of the group. "Not all your life." She says, making me come to a halt. "The girl that saved me all those years ago cared about her people. She would have died without hesitation to protect someone else. She even fought for a weak she-wolf like me."

"Saved?" Robin echoed behind us, making my fur stand on edge. "She saved you?"

I went to jump in, but Mike beat me to it. "When I was 7, I got attacked by this gang of wolves. They wished to kill me, and they almost did, until Averi jumped in on my behalf."

Not able to take it anymore, I swirl around on my paws. "What? You think I wouldn't do that now?" My voice began rising. "I would die for anybody in my pack, despite who they are, because that was what I was taught!"

"Is that the only reason?" She fired back. "Just because of the Werewolf code, you think you have to fight to protect people?"

"I do it because that's what right, and Werewolf code or not, that wouldn't change the loyalty I have to my people!" The second it slipped from my mouth, I knew I had said exactly what she had wanted me to say all along.

I seen they wanted me to keep talking, so hesitantly, I did. "Back when I was a cub, I hadn't felt the power of darkness, but I knew what pain was." I had to turn away as images began playing in my mind, images of the worst day of my life. "When my mother was still here, she told me that I could be anything. She made me believe I could be more than just a wolf doomed to hell. When she left, I guess everything just fell apart for me. I lost hope for a long time, thinking that I was nothing more than a failure."

"Your anything but that!" Mika interrupts. "I've been your friend for a good few years now, and I've seen you do things, incredible things that I would never be able to do if I practiced my whole life. This pack is lucky to have you, and everybody knows it!"

"I have a demon inside of me Mika." I point out bitterly. "I'm not exactly the 'crown jewel' of the East."

"You're the goddamn princess!" Her hands were blurs as she waved them around in the air in hundreds of gestures. "That's exactly what you are!"

I scoff. "That's what I was just after I was born. Things have changed since then. I hoped that maybe I could actually live up to what everybody expected, be the alpha the East deserved, but that's gone and died now."

Her eyes just narrowed. "You want your hope?" I watch then as she stomps to the humans. "Their standing right in front of your big nose! You may not believe it, but I have always thought that them landing here, out of all the planets in the galaxy, was more than just a dumb coincidence. We prayed for a miracle from Fenris, and we got it. They give us hope, they give you hope, but the second you let that go, that's when your truly doomed."

"You're asking me to change who I am, Mika! Do you think that's suppose to be easy for me?" I asked, turning to my human form. "To be a hero, you have to be good, which I am not!"

"Oh, to hell with that!" She barked, then without warning, she reaches out and grabs both my shoulders, turning my gaze to look into hers. "I don't care if you're good or bad! I don't care if you're a pureblood or a mutt or just some hotheaded thief! All I know is that you saved my life that day all those years ago, and I sleep peacefully at night knowing that you would never hesitate to do it all over again! It doesn't matter which side you're on, as long as you're with us. That is the only thing that matters."

"Not in this world!" I argue. "Why do you think I became how I am?"

"Because that's who you are!" She exclaims. "Everything you have done in the past has made you the wolf you are now! All your life, you've been fighting to meet these standards of a princess, of a warrior, of an apprentice, but what people don't see is that we don't need any of that from you! The way you are is perfect, and if somebody doesn't see that, then they're the ones that are wrong."

I almost bursted out laughing when her gaze snapped to the humans. They seen it too, and their looks of pure shame were priceless.

Her words meant more to me than anything else I've ever heard. On this planet, you have to be bad, but on earth, you have to be good. What did that make me, a walking yin yang symbol?

I just heaved a long sigh. "The truth is." I begin. "I don't want to pick a side, because when I do, half of myself dies with the choice. It's not acceptable for bad people to do good, or good people to do bad. That's why I linger in between. I'll do what I want, when I want, and probably die while trying, but I want the freedom to decide myself."

She smiles. "As long as you are there to protect me, then I don't care. Be whatever you want to be, a thief, a hero, a warrior, a shaman, as long as at the end of the day, you will always remain and Eastern wolf."

This was an easy reply. "I would die before being anything else."