Chapter 31: Better Things to Come

Standing in front of the mirror near the front door, I wrapped and unwrapped the scarf around my neck numerous amounts of time. Everything had to be perfect today because today was the day the I was being interviewed, not as “The Anon”, but as Charlotte Knight. Taking a deep breathe, I wrapped my scarf around my neck for one last time and smoothed out my shirt. Aunt Lucy was supposed to come in a few minutes to pick me up and take me to the TV station. As I bounced on the balls of my feet, I heard a pair of keys jingle behind me. Turning around I saw Britton putting on a pair of shoes.

“Let’s go.” He said as he finished tying his shoes and stood straight.

“What? Aunt Lucy is picking me up.” I said slightly confused.

“She texted you, didn’t she? She can’t come pick you up. She was out picking some stuff up, but she got stuck in traffic. So, I’m going to drop you off at the station. Now let’s get a move on!” And with that, Britton ushered me out of the house and into the car. Without getting another word into the conversation, I walked to the car and sat down in the passenger seat and buckled up. Britton sat down beside me and turned on the car. As he turned out of the driveway and onto the main street, I knew Britton was thinking about something if not he would be this quiet for this long. But before I could ask him what he was thinking about, he spoke.

“Char, I’m sorry. I’m sorry I was a terrible brother. I wasn’t there for you all this time. I didn’t understand how much this blog meant to you or other people. I’m sorry my selfishness got in the way.” He said, not taking his eyes off the road. I looked at him and I could tell what he said was genuine. My brother was back. As we came to a stop at a stoplight, I leaned over and pulled Britton into a hug and without hesitating he hugged me back quickly.

“I love you, Britton.”

“Love you, too. Oh, and I heard about Chase and you. I will beat him up the next time I see him. Okay?” He said as the stoplight turned green.

“I don’t know. We'll see when the time comes.” With that, Britton and I settled in a comfortable silence while the radio played. As I looked out the window and knew we were getting closer and closer to the tv station, my palms began to sweat. What if I mess up? What if I trip getting up into my chair? What if I have something stuck in my teeth? Terrified, I pulled down the mirror in the overhead compartment and checked my teeth, which thankfully had nothing suck in it. I looked over at Britton who had looked a me quickly and then turned back to the road.

“What? Emergency teeth check.” Britton laughed in response. I sat back in my seat and looked straight ahead. I could see the tv station and no matter how much I told myself I was ready for this, I wasn’t really sure if I was.

“Jesus, would you calm down? I think the people at station can hear your breathing, Charlotte. You will be fine. Even if you mess up people are still going to love you. Now let’s get out of the car.”

“What do you mean ‘let’s get out of the car’? Where not even there yet.” Britton shook his head and then turned my head towards the window. Outside I saw we were in the studio parking lot. My eyes grew wide and I swallowed hard.

“No, no oh no. I am not getting out of this car.” I say, pulling my legs up to my chest.

“I will buy you food.”

“I can buy myself food.”

“But it’s not the same. I’m paying for it.”

“No, Britton. Nothing you say or do will get me out of this car.” I said with my head held high.