Chapter 30: Mending Broken Parts

It was Friday. However, it was more than just Friday. Tonight was the homecoming football game. While every other teenager in my school was excited to go to school today, I wasn’t. Not with what happened yesterday. I sat at the kitchen table pondering what kind of act I should pull on Aunt Lucy to get me out of going to school today. Was it going to be fake vomit or clench the stomach and cry? I was going to go with the second option when Aunt Lucy walked into the kitchen and looked at me. A knowing smile was on her face.

“You are not skipping class. I don’t care if there is fake vomit in the toilet or you’re going to clench your stomach for dear life, you are still going. Oh, and we are going to go to your brother’s football game tonight.” She said as she put the top to her coffee mug and took a sip from it. I groaned and threw my head back, looking at the ceiling.

“Why can’t I stay home?” I ask getting up from my chair and grabbing my bag from on top of the counter.

“Yeah. She can stay home and blog about how she rather stay at home than support her brother. Oh, and then have hundreds upon thousands comment on it.” Said Britton as he walked into the kitchen and grabbed an apple out of the basket and sent me look that could kill.

“Britton!” scolded Aunt Lucy, but I waved at her to stop her from getting Britton even more upset than he already is. Britton scoffed and grabbed the car keys from the key holder.

“Let’s go.” He said in a monotone voice to me. Apart of me wanted to stop him and just cuss at him, but then the other half was just overjoyed that he was still talking to me. I didn’t want to ruin our relationship any further, so keeping my mouth shut and head down; I got in the car without a word. The car ride to school was like my life in a small car. Tense and awkward. I was about to cry from the weird feeling, but thankfully we pulled into the parking lot and got out of the car faster than anything. Slinging my book bag over my shoulder, I started walking towards school when I felt it. It was over a hundred pair of eyes looking at me. Pulling the hood of my sweatshirt over my head, I started walking faster when I was blocked by a small freshman. Her blonde hair was plaited into a braid and her blue eyes looked so innocent. She honestly couldn’t be reading my blog could she, with all those rude words. I must have corrupted her pure and innocent mind.  

“I was wondering if I could get a picture with you?” asked the small freshman holding out her phone.

“Um, sure. That’s unless I don’t break your camera with my dashing looks.” I say as I flip my hair. The freshman giggled in response.

“You’re funnier in person.” She said as she held up the phone and the two of us took a picture. As she looked back at the picture, I noticed how I looked like a teenage drug addict with my hood on and puffy eyes. God, I looked unattractive.

    “Hey, I didn’t like corrupt your mind with my sailor like language?” I asked the freshman as she tucked her phone away.

    “Oh, not at all! It’s not like I haven’t heard those words before. I really hope you don’t stop posting even though every one of your followers knows who you are.” I don’t know what it was, the freshman’s wise words beyond her age or the decisions I needed to make, but things started to click. Before I could talk to her anymore, she was off talking with her friends before class started. Pulling the strings to my hoodie, I kept my head down and headed inside to my locker. The entire way I thought about all the choices I had and all the decisions I could have made and imagined alternative endings to my life. Consumed by the world of daydreams, I didn’t realize I had a visitor at my locker this fine morning.

    “Charlotte?” My head whips up to find the face that I longed to see and at the same time didn’t ever want to see again.

    “What?” I spit out in a harsh manner. I turn to my locker and spun the dial. I was in no mood to deal with this human being.