Chapter 18: My Wifi and I have a Strong Connection

Chapter 18: My wifi and I have a strong connection

"It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring." I sang as I hung upside-down from my bed. It had been raining quite hard for the past hour or so and I was the only one home. Britton was at a friends house and Aunt Lucy was having a girls night out, saying something about how "us teenagers were stressing her out". I flipped back up onto my bed, laying flat on my stomach staring at my laptop. It was nine thirty at night and I still had a five page essay due for Psychology class on the behavior of teenagers. The pitter patter of the rain hitting my window calmed me down for a minute until I saw it.

"No, no, no!" I yelled at my laptop. There was a small red x-mark over the bars that marked my wifi signal. I had no internet connection. This was not going to end well. Grabbing Chester off the bed, I ran downstairs to the library room where the wifi connecter was. Quickly, I unplugged it and replugged it in. I looked over to my laptop and saw the blue circle swirling above the bars. I sighed, I would get my wifi back soon. As I leaned on the edge of the table in the room everything went black. All the lights in the hallway and the rest of house were out. My heart went into my throat. A teenage girl in her pajamas, alone in a big house while a storm is raging outside was a perfect scene for a murder. Oh why did I have to think about that now? After mustering up all the courage I had, I ran into the hallway and then into my kitchen and sprinted back to the library room, where Chester was. I dialed Michelle's number and waited for her to answer.

"Your call has been forwarded to an automatic voice messaging system." I heard the robotic voice and groaned. Ending the call I dialed up Emily. I could count on her to pick up her phone.

"What's up Charlotte?" I heard a voice through the phone. Sighing in relief I then spoke.

"The powers gone in my house and I have a strange feeling I'm going to be murder soon." I whispered into the phone.

"Char, what the hell are you whispering? I can barely hear you." Emily said while chewing on something.

"Well I don't want the killer to hear me! The powers out in my house can I come to yours?" I asked putting a major emphasis on my pleading tone.

"Dude, I'm out at my lake house this weekend, remember?"

"No! What happened to "no sister left behind?" I questioned not believing Emily was out of town.

"I am not driving back just to get your scared little butt out of the house. Plus the cute boy that is next to my lake house is over so I got to go." She said in a giddy tone.

"Okay, I see how it is. Leave me for the cute boy. If I die it's on you. Oh and Emily stop eating chips." I added bitterly at the end

"How did you know I was eating chips?!"

"Bye, Emily."

"Bye, Char. Be safe." And we both ended the call. I hugged Chester close to my chest. Maybe I was over thinking the serial killer thing. Just as I was about to step outside the library room to go look for candles and matches, I heard the rustle of leaves. And in that moment I ran so fast out the door to my car that Usain Bolt would be jealous. But before getting out of the house I grabbed the car keys and my bag, which I stuffed Chester and my phone into. But being the idiot I was sometimes, I forgot to grab an umbrella. As I put the keys into ignition and turned to on the car, the car made a weird noise. Once more I tried turning on the car and the noise came again. Groaning, I hit my head against the steering wheel. The rain was still pouring down at a fast pace. I could either go back inside the house were a potential serial killer might be, or stay inside the car with no internet connection. Neither was a win-win situation, and that's when I had to go to my last resort. Desperate times, call for desperate measures.