Chapter 9: Social Status

The night went by pretty fast and soon enough the sunlight was shining through the curtains. Groaning, I tried reaching the curtains to draw them together, but I tumbled out of my bed like a pro.

“Way to go, Charlotte.” I grumbled to myself as I walked to the bathroom to freshen up. After I brushed my teeth I went downstairs to see my brother holding his head in his hands, and Aunt Lucy with a smirk on her face cooking breakfast.

“Having fun there, Britton?” I asked him as I grabbed some chocolate milk from the fridge.

“Shut up.” He groaned in response. Aunt Lucy chuckled and handed him some pain killers and water. Britton said thanks and grabbed the pills and popped them into his mouth, gulping water. He then grabbed his phone and started scrolling through whatever he was scrolling through. I sat down beside him at the dining table, while Aunt Lucy set down the food. It was Saturday tradition for the three of us to eat breakfast together since we usually never get to see each other during the week. I piled on some scrambled eggs and toast. As Aunt Lucy and I started eating, Britton sat there staring at his phone, a smile plastered on his face. Soon he burst out laughing.

“What’s so funny?” asked Aunt Lucy look at Britton curiously.

“Someone sent me this link to this blog. This girl calls herslef “The Anon” like anonymous, and she is fucking hilarious.” said Britton enthusiastically. I choked on my food. Britton patted my back as I took a gulp of water.

“You okay, Char?” asked Aunt Lucy concerned. I shook my head and got up from table and put my plate in the sink.

“Umm... I’m going to go out. I’ll be back by lunchtime.” I spout out as I grabbed the car keys and ran out of the house, still in my pajama shorts and band t-shirt.

*

I sat on the swing set, my messy bun flopping back and forth as I swung. Kicking the dirt underneath me, I started to think. What if people find out it’s me that runs this blog? What will they say? What will the rest of the world say? As my thoughts consumed me a voice broke me out of my trance.

“Charlotte? What are you doing here... especially in your pajamas?” asked a familiar voice beside me. Looking up I saw Chase next to me.

“Umm... I was just.. you know.. swinging!” I said as I started swinging back and forth. Chase chuckled and sat in the swing next to me.

“You’re terrible at lying. What is really up?” he asked silently.

“While there is barely any chocolate milk left in the fridge because Britton keeps drinking it saying it helps with football, but really it’s just an excuse to get me mad.” I said. The thing I said was true, but they weren’t what I was really worried about and Chase could tell so he nodded for me to continue.

“Fine. What if someone wasn’t who they seem to appear?” I asked kicking the dirt underneath me.

“Well, I would want them to tell me who they really are.” he replied simply.

“But what if it’s not that easy. What if everyone’s opinion on them changes?”

“Isn’t there that saying like ‘be you because everyone else is taken?’” Chase said. I sat there pondering on what he said. Maybe I should just tell everyone who I am. But what if everyone just hates me?

“So.. I guess you’re done with your thinking?” Chase asked hesitantly. He sure wasn’t used to dealing with girl’s shit. Laughing, I got up and started walking to my car, but I turned around.