Chapter 40: The Beginning Of The End pt.1 of 3

Hey, loves. It's VERY important that you read the author's note at the end. PLZ READ IT. -Rae

-Mia-

I sat in the waiting area of the E.R. with the rest of my family, my insides twisting and turning in nervousness.

After Dre had come sprinting out of the practice facility with tears in his eyes, I just knew somethin was wrong. I tried my hardest not to ask any questions as I ran after him and hopped into his Hummer before he peeled out of the parking lot. His phone was still in his hand as he drove but after hearing somebody on the other end try to get his attention, I took it out of his hand and listened to what was being said.

"Hello? Mr. Jones?..... Mr. Jones, I need you to tell me if there is a number that I can reach for Ms. Ford's immediate family. Her emergency contact numbers are no longer listed." the woman said. My heart stopped.

"Hi, I'm Kyra's best friend. What happened to her?!" I said, frantically. 'Lord Jesus, don't let nothin be wrong with my sis!' I thought.

"Ma'am, I'm not at liberty to discuss that with anyone other than immediate family. But I need a contact number in order to get in touch with them." she said. I went through my purse and found my phone for Uncle Jay's new number and told the lady over the phone. After telling me what hospital and where to go, I hung up his phone and placed it in the area between the two front seats. I looked over at him as tears spilled down his face. I knew he was blaming himself. To be honest, I wanted to blame him myself. Had he not been fuckin around with Nicole, Kyra wouldn't have been driving so recklessly and ended up fighting for her life in a hospital E.R. But I also knew that this was no time to be playing the blame game. What was most important was that we made sure Kyra was okay.

"They took her to Good Samraritan Hospital." I spoke, calmly. I didn't know if he knew that or not but I had to make sure he knew where he was goin. He provided no response, not a glance or even so much as a head nod. I watched the cars pass by as Dre paid no attention to the speed limit on the freeway. I hoped that we didn't accidentally get caught up in traffic and ride pass the wreckage where she'd gotten into the accident. I didn't wanna see the place where my sister could possibly have lost her life. I tried to swallow the lump in my throat at the thought of it.

'God, I can't lose my sis. Please.' 

I looked down at my hands as I fidgeted in the waiting room chair and began to think about  Kyra and all the shit she'd been through in the last two years.  Her life had become a crazy path of chain reactions, centering around emotional and abusive relationships and still having to deal with the death of one parent and the neglect of another. Her confidence had gone from 0 to 100 in less time than it took for her maturity to sink in. We all knew, but I don't think anybody realized just how much she'd been through. I don't think anybody ever really took the time to sit down and talk to Kyra about her life and where she found the strength to go down the path she did. Don't get me wrong, Kyra's decisions didn't always make sense, and they weren't always correct, but the outcome was great. She was doin very well for herself. She was independant, living a very lavish life and all on her own accord. She was basically her own boss and I admired her for that. But I truly don't think she ever fully recovered from losing Auntie Kira. And as her family, we tried our very best to help her, but maybe it wasn't enough. Maybe she should have spoken with somebody who was a professional. Maybe that would have helped her cope better. How she broke up with Dre was crazy, and yeah, Kyra was wrong, but I get where she was comin from too. Sometimes you gotta hurt feelings and make hard decisions when figuring out what makes you happy. And I really don't think Dre would have been enough after a while. I'll be the first to say that I never really thought Dre and Kyra were a good fit for each other. I mean yeah, they were best friends and shared a lot of the same interests, but that still ain't a reason to be with somebody. But I cant control how they feel either. Me and Asia pretty much knew they'd end up together, but I predicted that it wouldnt last very long, especially because of Dre's man-ho ways. Little to my surprise though, Kyra had plans of her own.