22

Picture of Nayeli

Picture of Nayeli

NAYELI POV

"POW, POW, POW!"
I can hear multiple rounds piercing my home at 3:26 am on a Saturday morning.
My parents always told me if someone were to break into our home, I was to hide and keep calm. My papi was a huge drug dealer so that meant anything could go down at any given moment.

"Give me the fucking money!" I heard an intruder demand my parents from downstairs.

I was only 15 years old when I experienced my worst nightmare. Even though papi told me to stay calm, I was so scared. There wasn't nothing I can do but stay put in the closet.

"We don't have any money here!" My mother pleads out.

For years, she would tell papi to stay out the streets because it was turning into hate. We've managed to become well off but with that, it brought on a lot of unwarranted enemies. My Papi knew of this but ignored it until it was too late.

"Then where the fuck is it?"
"I ain't gotta tell you shit!" Papi yells out.
"You better start fucking talking before I kill both of you bitches."

I quickly snapped out of my thoughts. The past always seem to come back to me. It was such a traumatic time so needless to say, I'll never forget. Losing my parents should've broke me but somehow I have managed, alone.
"Keep it Poppin" by BeatKing slowly starts to fade back into the presence.

"Get up, El! It's time!"
"Wait, wha-"
"Let's go, they're waiting on you!" My friend Kia shrieks with excitement. I gave her a smirk and reached my hand out to her so that she can guide me up to the Dj booth. Kia has always been that loud, funny friend that everyone loves. Even though I've got through most of the hard times alone, Kia has since made it a priority to keep me going.

"C'mon, now. It's your birthday, Yunno what we gotta do."
"I'm following!" I said with laughter as we rush towards the Dj booth.

I'm finally turning 22 so it was only right to show out tonight. This club was the perfect place to be. The vibe was right and every birthday girl, needs a special shoutout.
"Shoutout to the birthday girl, Nayeli! Let me hear y'all turn up for her 22nd birthday!!" The Dj shouts out over the lively crowd. The spotlight goes onto me and everyone goes wild.
I smile and wave from the booth while the crowd continues to mingle and dance. Im  actually so surprised by the amount of people that came to celebrate with me.

"Damn who is that?" Kia loudly spoke over the music.
"How am I suppose to know? You're the one that put all of this together."

Kia and I obviously click but the way we socialize varies. She knows everybody and knows her way around getting into all the hottest club while Ive always just kinda, well..willingly tagged along.