Checkmate

Title: Checkmate

By: wolfluvermh

Summary: Welcome to a post-apocalyptic world of living Hell.  They call me Omega.  Here, it's God's blessing to find a scrap of meat.  Here, it's a world of monarchy and injustice.  Here, the best a woman can ask for is a comfy house to bear her man's children.  But me?  Well, I guess you could call me a lucky girl.

Life is a game and we are the pawns. The trick is choosing a side.

 Questions:

1. My inspiration... wow.  I can't tie it down to a single thought, a single moment, even a single idealism.  I can, however, dedicate bits and pieces that converged to become the story I write today.  The post-apocalypse empires and militias must be credited to my beloved -- though somewhat eccentric -- mother.    With her apocalyptic schemes, she painted a picture that I found myself typing.  

Another thing I'd like to believe inspired this work are all the cliche writers on this earth.  Way to go, you did something totally unoriginal and poorly plotted.  Those stories led me to construct a better world, a place where things worked differently and the only ones who survived were the people that thought differently than the rest. 

 My zombies can be dedicated to all the stupid zombie movies on earth.  How, exactly, did this disease start?  Always the most stupid reasons!  So, I created a lethal predator that could be created today with one wrong move. 

 2.)  Names paint parts of the picture.  I'll focus on the names of the main three: the Prince, Nathiel, the Lord, Aaron, and the streetrat, Omega.  

 Nathiel sounds dark, mysterious.  The rumble it rolls from the tongue inspires interested in a morbid fashion.  However, when spoken with the correct cadence, it also sounds beautiful and proud, everything royalty should be. 

 Aaron is an everyday name, one you would find on the streets today -- and that's what builds his mystery.  In a world of strange titles, he has an ordinary name.  The roll of syllables also illustrates his startling intelligence, and another sort of darkness. 

 Omega is the opposite of the alpha, the underdog.  The name sounds scruffy, and, when paired with her piercing personality, it also illustrates cruel beauty.  When found that this isn't her real name, it creates tension.

 3.) I want to show people that good grammar is actually needed in a story.  If I see a blaring grammatical error in the first sentence or, god forbid, the summary, I don't even give it a shot.  Grammar matters. 

 Never have I ever relied on reads and votes to keep me writing; I write because I love to.  But the low reading level of Wattpad and other sites annoyed me, so I felt it necessary to take my own skill to the next level.  If you don't know what "espy" or "seraglio" means, who's fault is that?

 4.) So far, I haven't suffered from writer's block, though I am familiar with its stunting embrace.  I have, however, had many difficulties with words.  Beautiful words are so complex and trying to find.  My mind has lists and when I read books with beautiful words, I highlight the words to keep track of them.  But whenever these words are needed, they seem to slip from my mind like ominous phantoms. 

 5.) Mostly, I'd say Science Fiction, Suspense, and Romance. 

 6.)  Suzane Collins, for one. 

 I adore the works of a little-known author by the name of Susan Ee.  Her novels -- Angelfall and World After -- rival even the greatness of the fabled Hunger Games, yet no one seems to be aware of them.  She is skilled and talent beyond no one else I know.  Perhaps one day, I'll be able to compare myself to that greatness.