Chapter 4

"Thank you." Jordan's eyes raised, looking at me as I donned the new hospital gown he gave me. My eyes didn't exactly make any contact with his since I was sincerely embarrassed.

"It's no problem at all. Just doing my job." He answered, arranging the pills I was to drink on my bedside tray. "Giving you medicine and doing your check up is all part of the job description."

I smiled at blunt answer, watching him move with his own finesse. His movements were masculine, almost reminding me of a predator. I was sure he took no shit from anyone. He was probably the one giving shit to other people. And I'd bet my ass, no one even tried to start a fight with him. Not because he was big and scary, but because he was a pacifist and he only ever spoke the truth. So, technically, he was hard to stay angry with.

"Does this happen often?" Jordan asked, his tone curious as he looked at me. I quirked an eyebrow at him in answer. "You know, the push you down and never get up thing."

I chuckled, brushing off invisible dust off my sleeves. It was troublesome to explain since this was already a normal part of my life. So, how was I going to explain to a man, who was not even half my beauty, the troubles my looks got me on a daily basis. There was no easy explanation, plus I didn't even need to answer that. It was none of his business and all he had to do was pretend it never happened.

But, he did save me. His concern was genuine and he was sincere when he asked. I don't see any malicious intent from him and there was really no problem in divulging a little secret of mine. And just for the record, I'm doing this because he saved me; not because my heart was being a piece of shit and started going haywire since Jordan came back with my medicine and a soft smile. I've had enough advices from the same organ that caused me to land in this shitty hellhole in the first place.

"Yeah, it does." I started, glancing at his face as he moved to the foot of my bed. "Ever since I learned my own name, people always tried to take advantage of me. My parents were loaded so assigning a bodyguard was never a problem. It only became a problem when the ones who were supposed to protect me was the ones who attacked. It was hard but I learned a few tricks for self-defense, so they never succeeded. This was the only time I was helpless since I was vulnerable from my collapse."

He nodded, silently contemplating what I had just said. His strong arms crossed his chest as he watched me. It was like he was expecting me to tell him more when I had none to tell anymore. I didn't like telling people my troubles. I preferred it when they concentrated on my looks than my life's history.

"What?" I asked, crossing my arms and cocking an arrogant brow at him. 

"So you've been attacked ever since you learned how to talk, huh." He said, his blank face returning to his face. He uncrossed his arms and reached for the chart on my bed, scribbling notes offhandedly. "Sucks to be you."

My eyes widened, my lips parting a bit as I looked at him disbelievingly. Not once in my entire 28 years on this planet had I ever recieved such a comment from another person, much less one that I met just two days ago. 

"What?!" I spat out, my gaze turning heated at his words. Okay, so he was easy to stay angry with. You'd be furious as well when someone you barely knew said stuff like that to you.

"What?" He answered innocently, like he hadn't just told someone an insult right at his face. "I didn't say anything."

"Yes, you did." He brought his bored gaze into mine, slipping the clipboard to his side swiftly. "Frankly speaking, no, it doesn't suck to be me. Far from it. It's amazing to be someone like me. To be admired for my beauty everywhere I went is something not most people experience. I'm sure someone like you knows that. And what's with that comment, huh? Do you seriously think I'd let you off with an insult like that because you saved my ass moments ago?"