Chapter 3

When I was young, I was always one to receive attention, not by choice though. Everything I did caught everyone's attention, even the simplest stuff like standing and looking bored. It was both a gift and a curse. I got whatever I wanted just by batting my eyes cutely and sucking up. There was no one, and I mean no one, who could refuse my wishes when they saw me. And I was incredibly proud of that, it's what defines me as a human being. That's why being ignored never happened to me.

Until I met that guy.

He looked at me and saw a regular person. His eyes stared at me like I was no different than anyone, that I wasn't blessed with immense beauty. I even played the bare skin part; however, he didn't act any different towards me, no indication that I was affecting him. He was rude and straightforward, he didn't even know that he was speaking too bluntly for me. He had looked at my skin and felt nothing, said nothing.

And it frustrated me to no end.

"Eric, baby. I know that look." Raphael chirped in, raising his eyes from the cellphone he was playing with.

I gave him a questioning stare, closing the book I was supposed to be reading to get my mind off some stuff, namely the ogre attendant. Raphael did the same to his gadget before standing up and walking to the right side of my bed. He had this knowing smirk on his face that I ached to punch him clean off the planet.

"Trust me, babycakes. I've known you long enough to figure out the meanings of some expressions you make." He said, crossing his arms over his chest. I rolled my eyes at him, a frown on my lips. "Who pissed you off this time?"

"What? No one did." I answered, feigning innocence. "Who would I get pissed at? You're the only one here and you're not pissing me off. Although, now you're starting to."

Raphael laughed lightly at me, covering his cheeky laugh with the palm of his hand. He didn't make fun of me often, but when he did, he was always up to something.

"It's that nurse, Jordan, right?" He asked with an amused grin. "Honey, he may have been a little rude but I don't think he deserves that much thought from you. You should just focus on getting better."

"FYI, I am not thinking about what he said to me or him, for that matter. I'm just a little curious, is all." I said in a boring tone I hope he believed, watching Raphael's reaction with half-interested eyes. "I mean, did you see the way he looked at me? It was strange."

"Looked at you?" Raphael raised a finger and tapped on his chin repeatedly, his eyes wandering above his head in a thoughtful manner. "Sweets, he didn't look at you strangely. He was all I don't care if you got hurt with my words, but I think that's just how he is. He didn't mean no harm at all."

"I didn't mean that, you idiot. I was talking about the way he looked at me like I wasn't me! How could he be so unaffected? Isn't that kind of strange?" I reached for the glass of water on the bedside tray, sipping through the straw. "No one does that. And all the while, I kept thinking that there was no living and breathing human being on this planet that could resist me. Suddenly, he pops out and voila, he's the one. And the thought that there's a person right here that could look at me and not give a fuck is seriously agitating me. This has never happened before and I'm not looking for a first."

I looked at Raphael, expecting him to understand my predicament. It wasn't everyday I opened myself so much to someone other than my sister. There were troubles that a normal peron wouldn't understand ince they were mostly rooted on my unbelivable good looks. Still, I trusted Raphael enough to tell him my feelings about Jordan.

At first, he wore a blank mask. It was like he was trying decipher the meaning behind my words and understand it. I thought he was going to agree wholeheartedly and support me in this weird situation I found myself in. But, I was wrong. The moment he finally got what I was trying to say, he bursted out in a fit of giggles. His head lolled back and his arms clutching his stomach like I had told the most insane joke on the planet, when in reality I was dead serious.