Chapter 6~

I wanted to thank @IsaSecret for creating an awesome book cover.

 POV: Claudia

"Prince Caden, the female who screamed is standing to the side of you and she is mated to a good friend of mine," Nik gasps out between breaths.

Dropping Nik he steps away breathing deeply. "You lie, Nikolai. Marcus knows he heard out mate scream out. He feels it deep within his bones it was her."

"He isn't lying your highness, it was I who screamed. I wasn't expecting to see him standing in the doorway without his shirt on. This old lady tends to be frightened quite easily now days. I'm truly sorry for confusing you. It wasn't my intention at all." Keeping her head down, my mother bows to him, showing her respect.

"What are you doing in my room? You're not the female who started cleaning it a few short hours ago." His eyes no longer held the beautiful green I feel in love with, no they screamed anger in the blackness.

"I relieved her."

"Why?" He demands critically.

"That would probably be my fault Caden." Nik pips in to save my mom. I can see her hands shaking at her sides. Technically she didn't lie to her Prince, she did relieve me, sort of.

Keeping his head held high he blurts out words I for one wouldn't have had the balls to say, "I asked her out. Today will be our tenth date in over a six month period. I figured I would surprise her while she worked, instead I walked in on this poor woman." Turning to my mom he acts as if he is deeply worried for her health. "Please forgive me for frightening you ma'am. I'm deeply sorry."

"It's...It's alright young man." Softly smiling she gives his shoulder a soft pat before down casting her eyes once more. "If it's alright with you, your highness, I have finished your room and would like to move onto the next."

I feel terrible for placing my own mother in this situation. I pray Caden listens to me and never punishes my family for lying to him. They are doing this to protect me and respect my decision.

"So be it." Without another word, my mother grips the cart with all her strength and rushes out of the room. I'll have to bring her a bouquet of flowers to thank her.

"Since when do you have a girlfriend Nik? I thought I heard you speaking of going out on another date with a lady of status," Caden inquires after kicking the door shut. His anger evident in his posture.

"I spoke those words to reassure our peers. Plus she doesn't want anyone to know we are dating as of yet."

"Why not?"

"She is not eighteen. Once she turns in a few short days, I will finally be able to proclaim my love to the world for her."

"She isn't your mate Nik, I won't allow you to steal another male's mate away." Roaring he throws a punch at Nik's head, missing by an inch.

"You have it all wrong Caden." Smoothly side stepping a furious Caden he puts his hands up in a defensive position. "Her mate is older and rejected her because he loves another."

"That's a flat out lie Nik and you damn well know it. It doesn't matter if a male loves another, once he finds his mate he will do whatever is necessary to keep her. She belongs to him and no other."  Catching Nik, he slams his fist into his stomach. "Now tell me the truth!"

"I am dammit!" Quickly pulling away he dodges four more blows. "Her fucking mate rejected her once he found out the female he loves was pregnant. He wants his kid more than his mate."

Well that escalated quickly. Nik is in for one frightening beating once Caden finds out all his words all lies. Softly banging my head against the wall I curse myself for placing him in this situation.

"What?"

"You heard me Caden. He ripped her heart out. She wants nothing to do with that bastard, nothing!" Taking a small peek, I realize Caden is standing still. Nik's hands are in front of his face, preparing for another blow.

Silence rained down upon the room. No one moved from their positions.

"Who is he?" I've heard when Caden's voice becomes calm and collected it means anything but.

"I'm not at liberty to say. She has sworn me to secrecy. I do not break promises, Caden, not even for my Prince." Nik, don't get yourself kill. Scared out of my mind I wait patiently, praying Caden doesn't rip him a new one.

"He deserves to be punished for his crimes Nik," Caden snarls.

"What crimes Caden?"

"He slept with another female and knocked her up! What the hell do you think I mean." Suddenly the door to the room slams wide open once again. This time Jason is the one to barge in.

"Does that mean you should be punished for sleeping with Jessica when she isn't your true mate?" Softly banging my head against the wall, I force myself to stay hidden. Nik needs to keep his mouth shut, all he is doing is digging a bigger whole.

Once Caden finds me on my birthday, he will know Nik was lying straight to his face. It will take it to heart, I have no doubt.

"Whoa!" Jason rushes out before stepping between the two friends. "You both need to calm the hell down and go for a run. I don't know what started this conversation, but it needs to end." Nik storms closer to the hidden door, his eyes searching mine. "Nik, Caden understands how irresponsible he is being. Don't you Caden?"

"Yes, dammit I do. Once again I hadn't thought through my actions. I didn't stop to think on how sleeping with Jessica for over a year would seem to my own mate." Slumping his shoulders he lays down on the bed, exhausted. "How stupid am I to not realize she could believe I am crowning Jessica."

Does this mean he isn't crowning her? Hope rises in my chest. Could he still desire to find me?

"The rumors have spread across the lands, Caden. They believe your forsaking your mate for her. There is no doubt in my mind she's heard them, it would be impossible if she lives in the castle not to have." Jason's words hold worry. He knows Caden's actions have deeply broken me. "Why are you two fighting again?"

"We heard a scream. Marcus proclaimed it to be our mates," sorrow dripped from each word. His fists tighten to the point I could smell blood.

"How is that possible if you know nothing about her?" Jason questions.

I can feel Nik's eyes on me. Anger and sadness bore deep within his soul. I wish with all my heart, I had never told him the truth. It's put a strain on his heart. He's had to lie constantly to his best friend for years.

"Beats me. Her scream apparently called out to him. Sent a chill through his heart and he knew instantly that it was our mate's voice." Taking a pillow he rips it to shreds. "I don't understand how he could have gotten it wrong. No one was in the room other than Nik and the maid and she is mated." Roaring he shreds his clothing. Shaking his fur out he dashes out of the open door, courtesy of Jason.

"Jason, if you wouldn't mind following him. I have a date with a beauty and I don't intend to miss it." Closing the hatch I run towards my family's room to meet up with Nik.

 __________________________________________

Authors Note: Hope you liked it.

Question of the date: Does Nik like Claudia as more than a friend?