Who are you?

(Edited)

When the banging stopped I felt it was still going on. All I could hear was banging for what felt like hours. I stood up and dusted off my jeans before walking over to the window to see if the close was clear. The only thing outside was a empty yard, I was relieved to see that. But that was before my mind wondered to Troy. Where was he? He should have been back by now, he said he would come back. I opened the door and stepped out onto the porch. The freezing wind whistle passed me making me turn my head to the left with the flow of it. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, and that scared me even more then anything. I went back inside the cabin closing the door and going to the kitchen. My hands landed on the counter as I tried to hold my balance. Pain shot through me from my hand. I picked up my hand fast to see the necklace that Troy had on the day before. Thinking back I find myself thinking of yesterday when he took off his shirt to clean a stain he got on it. "It must has fell off", I said to myself as I took it and placed it in my pocket. I sigh as a take the jug of water off the counter and take a drink. Just when I was just relaxing for a second I heard a knock on the door. I thought it was Troy so I sat the jug down and speed walked over to the door and looked out the window. But it was not him. I opened the door slowly, but only open enough that it was a inch or two wide. "Can you let me in?", asked the boy. He didn't seem worried or fazed at all. "Who are you?", I asked him. The boy laughed before answering me, "I'm Cole, and I would like to come in before the dead get my sent". I paused before opening the door wider for him to come in. When he was fully in I closed the door and watched as he walked around the room looking at the books on the shelves. As he slides his fingers over the titles of the books I looked at what he was wearing. He had a red flannel with the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. His hair fell over his forehead in a wavy brown way. I have not gotten close enough to see what his eye color is. His jeans were dark blue almost black, and in his back pocket I could clearly see a gun sticking out. He picked up a book called 'We All Looked Up' and sat down on the couch. "Make yourself comfortable", I said rolling my eyes. I walk back into the kitchen and grabbed a glass from the cabinet. Poured a glass of water and headed back out the living room where I found him reading. I stood in front of him and handed him the glass. He looks up and takes the glass, "Thank you". I nod before I walk to the side chair next to the couch and took a seat. "Why are you here?", I said after a quiet minute of me watching as he read the book. "Well, I saw you were alone and I thought you might need some company", I laughed. "Are you stalking me or something?", he looked up from the book leaning forward. "More like observing the threat", He smiled setting the book on the table that was in between us. "Threat? What would make you think that me and Troy would be a threat to you?", I asked kinda more angry than curious. "Calm down sweetheart you and your little boyfriend are..", He said before I cut him off. "He is not my boyfriend", I said crossing my arms. "Fine whatever, You guys are people that I don't know and in this world right now that is a problem", He explained to me with a frustrated look. "This world, does this have something to do with the people that got me and Troy split up?", he nods. He stands us and pulls out a booklet that was in his pocket. "The radios about a month ago went off about a virus outbreak", he sits back down flipping through the pages of the book. "I like to keep track of the news and what's going on,giving that is what I was graded on in college", he pauses on a page and passes it to me. "When they explained about it I was in the back of a grocery store about to restock the shelves, But I took a break to write what they said down", I took the book reading it over.

'If you find yourself face to face with a man or woman with there skin torn or a bit mark on them keep away. Even if it is your friend or family member keep your distance. There is a virus that is killing people that have gotten the illness and bring them back to life. They are not friendly, they will pass on the illness to you if you get bit, we are not all sure if it is passed by scratch yet. But stay tune'

"After that I just took note of what I saw", he flipped to the next page where all I could see was tallies filling the whole page, had to be like 200 or more. "What are these", I ask pointing to the pages. "Those are the people I have seen die", He said taking the book from my hand. I shake my head standing up walking back and forth, from one wall to the next. My brain was trying to wrap around the idea of what I just heard. "Not to bother your processing but, I'm staying here tonight", I stopped and looked at him. "I'm not letting you stay here", I laughed as I stood in front of him. "And why not", He said standing up. I could clearly see that he was a half a foot taller than me. "Because I don't know you", I explained. He stepped closer to me, "Well it looks like to me that you are alone and you obviously don't know how to take care of yourself". "I can take care of myself", I throw back at him. "Oh really because you let in a complete stranger with a gun in his pocket into your house", He stated. I smiled at him, "Gun, oh you mean the one I took out of your pocket and put in my pocket". I pulled the gun out of my pocket handing it to him. He took it and put it in his pocket again. "How did you do that", he asked. "My dad was a con artist, and I always had to help him", I said. I was just now noticing how close we were, I took a step back before saying, "You can stay but I want that gun in the dish over there". He looks over at the keys and coins dish that I was pointing to. "Fine, house rules", he said walking over and setting it down gently. "Okay then, I will go get the blankets and pillows", I smiled walking out of the room.