Chapter 22 "Hikaru Garth!"

(Tori's POV)

I prowled around the fence trying to look for an opening into the field. There were trees and plants surrounding the fence, I recognized the place as an old abandoned baseball field. I finally found an opening big enough for me but to small for a person.

My wings wrapped themselves tightly around my sides so that I could go through.

Once through, I saw lights...

And heard voices.

"You cannot possibly be serious?!" Somebody exclaimed in a gruff voice.

"I am serious! I will not leave my best friend defenseless because of our damn issues with the shape-shifters!" A younger voice stated in a voice filled with determination.

"Then you will stand alone." A calmer more feminine voice stated.

"No! Hikaru, you are making a mistake! Think this through!" The same gruff voice from before started out, "You are a hunter! Not only do the Dark Hunters hate our guts, the shape-shifters despise us to the core! The enemies at both sides will surround you! And only to protect one measly little human girl!"

"Minori isn't just any girl! She's my best friend! No matter what!" The youth exclaimed.

I then realized who this was... Hikaru Garth! The very headhunter of the hunters group in our school! So he was the one who had caused grief to Minori!

My beast wanted his blood, but I tried to reason with it.

We must kill him! He has hurt our mate! No one hurts mate! My beast argued with a snarl.

Think... He cares about her. Maybe he even loves her, and probably distressed her without even knowing he'd done that. I argued back with a snarl of my own. Even now he fights to protect her, and he is fighting against his own!

The beast huffed a bit at that but calmed down anyhow.

Something I knew for a fact was that the hunters, shape-shifters, magic users, humans, and even Dark Hunters had in common was their unfailing loyalty once given. Of course humans and magic users could be easily misled, but the others were not. And until now, I had never heard of a hunter who turned on his own.

Listen! My beast hissed at me...

I had been so tuned into my thoughts, I had missed an important change in the atmosphere.

"I'll have no other choice other than to kill you!" The gruff voice yelled out in anger.

I felt that person shift into a fighting stance.

We must save him! I was about to growl out how idiotic that very action was when my beast suddenly added. Else our mate will fall utterly into despair!

A flash of Minori's utterly grief stricken face appeared in my mind, and I let out a growl of agreement.

Without thinking, I entered the field completely.