Chapter 21 "Moonstones!"

(Tori's POV)

I woke up feeling angry.

So far I had just barely laid down to take a nap when an endless wave of despair came over me. The wave came leaving me paralyzed with grief, then my anger took it's place when I was finally able to control the emotional out lash. I knew exactly were those emotions had come from.

Just two days ago, I had given Minori a moonstone necklace.

For my kind, moonstones were very symbolic. Each moonstone is cut from one single moonstone the owner has in a pouch around their necks. Then each piece of the moonstone is given to the owner's most precious people.

So far, I've only ever given two out, one to a longtime friend, and one to Minori. The one Minori had hanged from a strong thin silver piece of chain and was surrounded by three amethysts on each side. The one touching the moonstone was large, and the one on the outside was small. Giving it the appearance of wings to anyone who looked closely enough. The moonstone itself was shaped in the image of a wolf's tooth with tiger stripes embedded into it.

The moonstones were sacred and connected the wearer's feelings to the first owner.

"Gggrrrr..." I growled out.

My inner beast was barely being held in check.

I leaped out from my bed and started pulling off my clothes. The scars on my hands, feet, and back were burning like they usually did when I was getting ready to change. I barely got down to the kitchen when my body started to ache and bones started to crack.

"Hissssss..." I went as I tried to hold the change back.

I righted myself enough so that I could open the door, then crawled out of it. I tried closing the door behind me, and somehow I managed. Finally I could change without worrying over the others.

I laid down on my belly on the floor as my bones cracked, and my changed. It felt horrible, but afterwards it felt refreshing. Taking deep breathes before I actually stood up on my forelegs. I gave my wings a stretch, and heard them pop, the muscles gone unused for over three weeks. My claws dug into the concrete, powerful, and strong like steel.

I sniffed the air, relishing the scent of fresh air.

"Grrr..." I growled in approval.

Then primal instincts took over, and I started running... Not really knowing where I was heading just that I had to go. The sound of the rough pads of my paws hitting the ground was like a lullaby to me.

Suddenly I stopped under a dark corner in an alley. A car went by the alley's opening, and once it had disappeared, I started my running. This time more cautiously.

My instincts led me to Minori's house, but my beast stopped right on her lawn. Near her door... Where I caught the whiff of a hunter!

I growled.

The beast wanted to follow the scent. Yet, I gave in to the urge of looking at her window. Her pain seeped into me, and I let out a kin howl of remorse.

Then before anyone could ever notice, I was off following the hunter's scent. I followed it on a run, and would stop occasionally to hide from unwanted eyes. Finally, I reached the place were hunter was found at...