Awaited meetings

Robert's POV

I woke up soon on the next morning. The thought of meeting Catherine thrilled me. Was she waiting for me last night? When I arrived she was by the window and it didn't seem to me she was only randomly there. Was I wrong? I don't know. I do know I am sometimes to bold, but every time I'd stare at her, she would stare back at me with the same intensity. I'm probably reading wrong signals, nevertheless, I want to know her, talk to her and get to know her. Maybe it is too soon to think about something more than that.

During the morning I went to visit the farm with my brother and we even shared a horse race that I obviously lost. I mean, how could I even think I could win a horse race against my brother?

After that I returned home, only to have a quick lunch and leave again. The address I gave Catherine was a little place Tom owned. He lived there sometimes, but when he had the opportunity, he rented it and went back to his parents. It was a way he could get more money, since he would refuse any kind of monetary help I offered him. I obviously forgot to tell Tom I would "steal" the place for some hours, so I intended to quickly meet him before meeting Catherine.

He was home with his parents, I knew that. He'd told me the day before he had to help his father with some things. His parents really liked me, his mother greeted me with a big hug and offered me lunch. It was amazing how, economically, they lived in hell and still offered so much.

"What are you doing here?" Tom asked me as I was alone with him

"I really need your help, and it is kind of urgent"

"Oh, boy. It cannot be good" he replied

"That little place you own, it is not rented to anyone, right?"

"Hmmm, right...?"

"I need it. Please, urgent"

"You're not sharing body fluids with any lady on my place!"

"Shut up! It's not for that, idiot!"

"Robert, what are you up to?"

"I'm just going to meet someone"

"Why there? There are so many places around here"

"Tom... please, I'm kind of in a hurry"

"Robert?"

I look at him before I quietly replied "Bickerton's daughter"

Tom took some seconds looking straight at me before replying

"ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?!" he yelled at me

"Shush!" I looked around. His father quickly appeared "Everything alright, boys?"

"Yes, Mr. Barney." I quickly replied

"Robert, that road ends on a death verdict"

"It won't, damn. I just want to know her, we don't even have..." He interrupted me

"Just look at you, Rob. You should know very well that your eyes talk too much. You like the girl"

"No they don't" I raised my eyebrow at him. How come my eyes talked? That's the biggest nonsense I've ever heard.

"For those who know you well, they surely do!" I could tell he was frustrated

"Look, Tom. Nothing bad is going to happen, alright?"

"I just hope you know what you are doing" he went to pick the keys up "Here. Be careful"

"Thank you Tom." I patted his shoulder "I'll pay you"