My Grown-up Christmas Wish

Red-- the colour of stockings. The colour of a juicy apple in the summertime. A bold statement.

A colour that Melody was happy to see as her cheeks flushed pink. A blur,  shiny as a Christmas ornament whizzed by. Whirling around, she tried to locate her surroundings but she was much too dizzy to figure it out. Shock rattled her bones as she realized she was alive. 

Sam's murmuring in her ear made her eyelids flutter. She breathed a sigh of content as she rested her body onto his lap.

"Seems to me you've had quite the night," Sam said, sending a flirty grin her way.

She quickly brushed herself off, moving away from him, though she had to admit, she felt cold without his touch. "No thanks to you. I almost died!"

"I'm so sorry Melody. I shouldn't have gotten angry at you, it was stupid of me."

"You got that right!" she yelled crossing her arms.

"So this is the infamous Melody I've been hearing so much about," Santa tipped his hat towards her. "You gave this one," he shook his son by the shoulder causing Sam to glower at him, "quite a scare."

"I did?" Melody asked with a sly grin. She was definitely not going to let Sam live this one down. "You cared about me Sam?"

Sam shrugged. "Where else would I get powdered jelly donuts?"

"Well regardless," she gave him a forceful punch in the side of his arm. 

"Ouch," Sam tended to the purple bruise that was now forming. "What was that for?"

"For leaving me dangling, not telling me how cold it could get delivering presents and once again for causing me to spend the night dangling from the side of a house!"

"I mean at least I gave you a fun night."

Melody's eyes widened at Sam's definition of the word fun. Baking, playing in the snow, shopping at the hardware store-- now that was fun. It was also not life threatening as Melody would like to point out.

 "What would you have been doing?" Sam eyed her precisely, studying every bit of her. "Possibly closing up shop now and going home. Am I right?" He stared at the passing sky as he said this.

"That's not--"

"What...True?" Sam turned and she could have sworn she saw the ocean in his eyes.

"No," she pouted, frowning because maybe he knew her better than she had thought.

"That's not all I gave you."

"What are you talking about?" she asked trying to figure out his clever brain worked.

"I mean, I did give you something pleasant to look at," he grinned as he bit down on a sugar cookie.

"You heard that?" At this point in time she was thankful that her ears were red because she could blame it on the cold, instead of the fact that she was embarrassed.

"Loud and clear, Mel." He saw as her movements became flustered and she tried to hide her face. In a sing- songy voice he said, "You like me, you really like me."

"Oh shut up, magical boy."

"Magical boy?" Sam furrowed his eyebrows. "I like it."

Heat creeped up behind her ears, as she realized she had just revealed her secret nickname for him. 

"Dang it! And here I was trying so hard not to like you," she quipped while looking down and seeing the Eiffel Tower. We're in France? How fast does this sleigh travel? Just a minute ago we were back in...