(Santa Baby) Hurry Down the Chimney Tonight

She twiddled her thumbs, staring at the piece of paper with only red font. She read the words over again as she tried to understand it.

"Santa, baby? What could that mean?"

"Hey Melody," Merry called out to her from behind the counter. Melody's eyes  hovered over the book that was currently in her hand. She couldn't concentrate on it though, because her thoughts were preoccupied at the moment. Bored, she sprang up ready for anything.

Merry smiled warmly, which instantly put Melody in a better mood.

"What is it Merry?" she grinned.

A pink box was placed in her hand. "I need you to take this box next door to the Veterinarian."

"Are you trying to bribe Mr. Mulconey?" Melody wiggled her eyebrows. For the past few months, they'd been trading shy glances and a little too much giggling, if you asked her.

"No," she nonchalantly nudged Melody. "I remembered that these are his favourite, plus the weather's been badly lately and he could use some cheering up."

"Uh huh," Melody replied hiding her laughter.

Often on her shift she would pause to see them giggling and laughing and talking about the day. Often times she would watch as a hand grazed another, and sighed at how sweet they were to one another. This reminded her of...

Here she was trying to make sense of it all. Could it really be true? No, no that would be absurd! Right? She bit her lip as the cold weather nipped at her toes. Could the man that she knew for less than a week really be Santa Claus? I mean he was pretty young-- dashing even, he looked like he was her age. But then again," she pondered over the matter, "he could not even age."

As time ticked away, and after a few boxes of powdered jelly donuts, she decided once and for all to see him again-- to return the card of course and nothing more.

By the time she clocked out for her shift, she was certain of it.

But...

As the  wind coloured her ears red while she turned the key closing up shop-- she decided it could wait.