Doesn't He Know It's Christmas?

As Melody closed up for the night, she began her way home. Burrowing her head down, and tying the scarf around her neck she noticed something strange on the ground.

Now normally when she saw something yellow in the snow, she wouldn't dare touch it. But in this case, whatever was in the snow shimmered and shined, causing her to brush her mittens over it. It looked like glitter, so she thought that's what it was-- at first. She began walking again, the trail of golden dust laid out before her on the cold, white, fluffy, surface.

A realization hit her-- there were no craft shops for miles! How was there glitter on the ground? Another thought crossed her mind. She had seen this dust before! Yes, she was sure of it! When she was cleaning up after Sam had abruptly left, under the bar stool was the same dust. Maybe the two were related? But how? she wondered.

The trail  led into an apartment building just a couple blocks away. Should she go in?

She slipped into the elevator unnoticed. Now what? She didn't know which floor the glitter was on.

By pure luck somebody got on, on the second floor. Peering past him, she saw the golden specks. "Excuse me sir," she pushed past him, just as the elevator doors were closing.

She wiped her brow. Phew! That was close! All through the hallway was decorated in Christmas cheer. There was tinsel, ornaments, even a Christmas tree in the middle of the hallway. All were brimming with Christmas joy-- except one door.

She followed the golden dust to the undecorated apartment door. Maybe it was Sam's? If it was, she wondered Doesn't he know it's Christmas?

Raising her knuckles, she paused. What if this was a mistake?

The door latch clicked and she scurried towards the elevator, ducking behind a wall.

Sweat rolled down her face as she heard the footsteps getting closer.

She held her breath and squeezed her eyes shut. Opening them a short while later-- she gasped.