Silent Night

Sam stomped all the way home, steam practically spouting from his ears. Slamming his satchel on the ground by his bedside, he let out a bellowing scream.

He put his head in his hands and slid them down his face. "That girl can enrage even the calmest bull," he sighed.

He picked up his alarm clock, as he tucked himself in to bed. His head fell back in frustration as he realized he would have to get up early in the morning to walk the dogs.

"Maybe Cooper can take one for the team."

Cooper was Sam's favourite coworker since he started working at Paws Veterinarian Clinic. Cooper teased Sam when he found out where he'd been that night of the blizzard.

"You're telling me that you don't have feelings for this girl next door?" Cooper said as he piled the boxes into the stock room.

"Not in the least bit," Sam passed the boxes to him. He fumbled causing one of the boxes to hit the floor.

"You've never dropped a box before," Cooper bent down and picked it up, never breaking eye contact with Sam as he did so. "Boy, this girl's more trouble than I thought," Cooper shook his head, playing on Sam's emotions.

"Hey, she's not trouble!" Sam barked, to which Cooper gave Sam a coy smile.

"Oh shut up and move those boxes," Sam pointed the dozen boxes lined up in the narrow hallway.

"Don't deny it Sam. You've been acting strange-- sort of lovestruck since you went over to that bakery. More strange than usual if you ask me--"

"Well I didn't--'

"I'll take that crass attitude to confirm my theory," Cooper winked. "But seriously it's like you're not even from this world. Do you remember when you first came bustling through that door a year ago?"

Sam heaved the boxes, not paying attention to Coop.

"You had the scariest, most fearful frown I had ever seen. But then you warmed up when I first brought Scott in and now again with Maggie."

Sam glared at Cooper. "It's Melody."

"Now is no time for writing a song, Sam."

Sam rolled his eyes. "Melody. Her name's Melody."

"Oh. You remember her name, eh?" Cooper gave Sam a light jab in his ribs.

"Okay Coop, you've made your point." Sam pushed him away.

"I have, haven't I?" Cooper asked.

"Yes," Sam groaned in annoyance. He hated being wrong-- it was the same characteristic he shared with his father.

"So what are you going to do about it?"

By now, all of the boxes were in their right place and they had each stopped to continue their conversation by the water fountain.

'What do you mean?"

"Come on, Sammy. You know what I'm talking about. Go see this Maddie."

"Melody," Sam corrected.

"Whatever. Go see her or else I will."

"You wouldn't," Sam countered, sizing Cooper up.

"I might, I heard she makes the best gingersnaps this side of town."

"You're skating on thin ice Coop," Sam crumpled the plastic water cup and tossed it into the nearby garbage can.