Must Be Melody

"Let's paint the town Christmas," Melody adjusted the reins in her hand.

She had successfully delivered presents to one house-- luckily the child was an only child.

Sam was right about the chimney part. It was easier getting down, than shimmying up, which she would later come to realize.

Flurries flew in her face and her boots were soaked by the time she got to the second. "I don't know what Sam was complaining about. This job is not that hard!"

By the time she had gotten to the third, her feet were numb, her fingers were throbbing and she could barely speak because her mouth was frozen. 

Other than some hitches in the road-- or should I say sky, Melody had gotten used to the gliding motion of the sleigh. Hoisting the heavy sac over her shoulder she exited the sleigh and hopped onto a roof.  

Blue shingles and dirty gutters were all the rage with this house. Some twigs, branches, leaves and gritty water caused Melody to gag. "If I can just," she swallowed the heavy lump in her throat that threatened to come bubbling up, "get through this disgusting mess of a house, I can do anything."

_________

"I hope she's alright," Sam drank a piping hot mug of hot chocolate. "But then again, if I know her like I do, she can do anything."

"It seems to me that you like this Melody," Mrs. Claus sat beside her son, who right now felt like he should be getting coal in his stocking.

"Is it that obvious?" Sam sighed as he placed the mug down and wrung his hands together. 

"Yes," Mrs. Claus chuckled as she rubbed her son's back. "If I know you, you'll do the right thing."

"And what would the right thing be?" Sam sighed and looked into the eyes that resembled his.

"That's for you to decide," Mrs. Claus got up, just as her husband put the finishing touches on the old sleigh.

"I hate it when you say that. Can't you just tell me what's the right thing to do!" Sam groaned. "You're the parent, you're supposed to teach me right from wrong."

"If you're sitting here worried sick about Melody-- a girl you just met and you have a conscience-- then I've done my job," she smiled wickedly.

"And so have I," Santa beamed, "with this sleigh of course!" he rumbled with laughter.

"It's finished?" Sam lit up with cheer and holiday spirit, the most since the argument with his dad last year. 

"Yes Sam. Now do we have everything we need?"

Sam nodded.

"Then, let's go save Christmas!"

"And Melody," Sam added.

__________

As Melody climbed out of the chimney covered in soot, from her head to her boots, she flung the sac down and took a seat. Her hands were behind her to support her weight and her legs were bent at the knee. "Hey Rudolph, is it just me or is this bag getting heavier and heavier?"

Of course Rudolph only jingled his bells, which was more than what Melody had hoped for in response.

"Alright guys, let's head out. These presents aren't gonna deliver themselves," she stood up and carried the sac across the roof shingles. Her arm nearly snapped from all the tension. Rubbing the spot, she cried out in pain and decided it was best to drag the bag during the boisterous storm.

Her feet slid out from under her as she slipped on some ice covered with snow.
Roof shingles met their early fate as they tumbled off the roof and scattered into pieces.
She grasped onto the gutters (which she was thankful for at that moment, no matter how horrendous they were) and shut her eyes as she held on for dear life.

"Oh dear."