"I Guess" -Hercules Mulligan

Y/N's day was any other. Except she was a nurse for the revolutionary fighters. And she was currently sawing off the leg of a man, who's bullet wound got infected. Fun, right?

Y/N finished sawing and wrapping the man's stub, and moved on to the next victim. She made quick work of wrapping the upper arm of a Soldier who got his lower arm cut off by a Red Coat's saber. She kept moving about after making sure the bandages were in place. Until she heard the words "Miss, i've still got a bullet in my leg, could you take it out?" She turned around to see a soldier, impatiently waiting for someone to treat him. She nodded and hurried over to him, making quick work of his bullet wound. He thanked her, and left to fight, after making sure all the other nurses weren't watching.

Y/N didn't notice him leaving, she was taking care of another soldier who would not stop complaining about his would not being treated "I'll have you know i'm very close to General Washington! He'll have my complaints as soon as i get out of this death house!" The man yelled. "Yes, Mr. Lee, I'm sure he'll get them." Y/N said, trying to bandage him. She would've been done by now, if he wasnt jerking his arms everywhere. "And you're so slow, too! How has the General washington not sent you home yet? Women shouldn't be on the battlefield anyway-" Y/N finished tying his bandages and imterrupted him "I'm finished with your bandages. Good day, Mr. Lee." She tried to say as nicely as she could before hurrying away to bandage another man.

"Hello miss, i can't help but notice how easily you dealt with Charles. How did you do that and where can i learn it?" He asked. "I'm sorry sir, but i can't tell you. It's classified." Y/N joked. "I'm Y/N. You are?" "John Laurens." "Well, Mr. Laurens. You should be fine to walk after i tie this knot." She said, tying the knot. She stood up and looked around. "Looks like everyone else's treated. I'm free to stay inside the tent as you guys go and fight." she said, sitting down on a empty chair. "Thank you, Miss YN. I'll remember your kindness." John said, and left.

It was only hours before Y/N was up and wrapping bandages, sawing off infected limbs, digging bullets out, and other things. She had finished with the critically important men, and moved on to those who just need bandages. She had moved on to another man, and finished when "Y/N! The General and mr. Lee would like to speak with you." Y/N curtly nodded, finished up wrapping the man who she knew to be a Mr. Hercules Mulligan, and left to speak to the General. She wiped her bloody hands on her apron, trying to clean her hands just a little bit, and walked in.

"General Washington, Mr. Lee, you wanted to see me?" Y/n asked. "Yes, Y/N. Sit, please." Washington offered while motioning to a chair. She sat on the chair and waited to her what she was there for. "I have here the many, many written complaints from Mr. Lee, care to tell me why?" He asked, where Lee cut in "She's too slow in the workplace, i've gotten other men's probably infected blood all over my face more than once, she speaks with her parients, and on several occasions i've seen her using the treatment medicine on herself!"

Outraged, Y/N stood up, and said "You're impatient, incompetent, and downright annoying! I'm the fastest nurse, I clean myself regularly, unlike you. I speak with patients so they don't bleed to death, you speak with people and they're bored to death! And one last thing, i never stole any medicine, the things you've seen me taking at night is plain alchohol. Y'know why? Because irritating litte pricks like you think they're better in every way and decide to go complain to the General, when he OBVIOUSLY has more important things to deal with, so squeal and run back home, little piggy."

At this, Lee was disgusted. "Wahington, you HAVE to make her leave now! She just insulted me on multiple accords!" He practically screamed. "Actually, We both should leave. The General needs rest and the nurses need me. You, on the other hand, need to go back to your tent." Y/N remarked, pushing him out of the tent, and leaving herself. She didn't know it, but John Laurens, had dragged two of his friends: Marquis de Lafayette, and Hercules Mulligan. They heard the entire discussion.

A bit later in the year, the Winter Ball was nothing but what everyone was talking about. Y/N had decided on a light F/C dress, with matching F/C [either heels or flats. Idc]. She had gotten into her carrage and left to attend. She wouldn't get much attention, that she knew. But at least maybe Mr. Washington would introduce her to some high-ranking doctors, who would take her under their wing, and show her how to become a doctor like the- "Miss Y/N! Miss Y/N, we've arrived." The driver told her, snapping her out of her thoughts. "Thank you, henry." She spoke softly as she carefully stepped out of the carrage, and walked inside.

The ballroom was alive with so many things. The first thing Y/N thought to do was to turn around and go home, she wasn't too keen of social conventions, until she heard a familiar voice. "Y/N! Over here!" Called her friend, John Laurens. Y/N and John had kept in touch since they met when she fixed his leg. "Hello John! How's your leg doing?" She asked "Just fine! It's good to see you when you're not caked in blood, Y/N." He said with a smile.

"Well it's not every day that i actually am not caked in blood, John" she reminded him. Hearing an 'ahem', Y/N and John turned to look at two men. "Right! Y/N, these are my friends, Hercules Mulligan." He motioned to a tall man, with beautiful brown eyes. "Good to meet you." He spoke, shaking her hand. "And The Marquis de Lafayette." John finished the introduction. "Good evening, miss. Tu es magnifique." The other man spoke. "It is nice to meet you both." She said, as a certain song came on. "May i have this dance?" Both men asked, while John silently stood there, because they were his friends, and only he knew of his liking of Y/N.

At the end of the ball, both Hercules and Lafayette had asked to court Y/N, with the other knowing of their question, to both Y/N agreed to. They all left to go home, leaving behind a Sad John Laurens. Who would finish fighting in the war, go back to South Carolina, gat into a gunfight with British troops who didn't know the war was over, and die, with Y/N and a feeling of bertayal in his last thoughts.