To Feel - Chapter 3 - Time alone

Esme's P.O.V

"Edoras and the Golden Hall of Meduseld. There dwells Théoden, King of Rohan, whose mind is overthrown. Saruman's hold over King Théoden is now very strong." Gandalf informed us, as we stopped riding and looked over Edoras. "Be careful what you say." Gandalf sent a pointed look in my direction, I nodded back knowing that I had to keep my mouth shut. "Do not look for welcome here," he warned us.

Aragorn gently kicked the horse in the side to get her moving and we trotted down the hill and across the plain, heading for the entrance of the village. We got to the doorways, Gandalf led us, followed by Legolas and Gimli, then Aragorn and I. I felt slightly uncomfortable as we entered the village, I knew something bad was going to happen. We carried on up the village, which was quiet and seemed very depressing. I looked at the people as we passed them. They weren't smiling, and seemed very sad.

"You'll find more cheer in a graveyard," Gimli commented, just loud for us to hear. I nodded my head in agreement, though I didn't look at him. We soon reached the main hall atop the hill. We all dismounted our horses and tied them up to a stand. I rubbed Hasufel's nose in reassurance, before we climbed up the stairs, only to be stopped outside of the Golden Hall.

"I cannot allow you before Théoden King so armed, Gandalf Greyhame. By order of Grima Wormtounge," a man with a ginger beard said to Gandalf, then the rest of his men looked at the rest of us. Gandalf nodded to us and then we started handing the men our weapons.

I pulled my bow and quiver off my back and handed them to the man in front of me. I then undid my sword's sheath and belt from around my hips, and handed them to the man in front of me. I smiled at him innocently, but the man was unfazed and still looked at me expectantly. Legolas nudged me in the back slightly, and I huffed out in annoyance. I pulled out two knives from my boots, before taking out a small pocket knife from my coat and handed them to the man in front of me in defeat.

"Your staff," the man said to Gandalf. Gandalf looked at his staff, before looking the man in the eyes.

"You would not part and old man from his walking stick," Gandalf murmured, lacing his voice with age that wasn't there before. The man looked a little worried but then wavered his hand, letting us follow him. Legolas went to Gandalf's side, and let him take his arm and lean on him a bit, keeping up the image of Gandalf as an old man.

Hama stayed by the doors, letting us past first and then closed the doors behind him. We carried on walking through the hall and I kept my eyes on the soldiers who stood along the hall. We stopped a little and I kept my eyes on the soldier who stalked us.

"The courtesy of your hall is somewhat lessened of late... Théoden King," Gandalf's voice boomed in the hall. I finally paid attention to the king in front of me and a scabby, old man who was knelt nest to the throne, in which a withered old man sat.

"Why should I welcome you... Gandalf Stormcrow?" The king managed to say through his teeth. Théoden looked at the scabby man next to him for agreement, who then stood up and went over to us.

"A just question, my liege," he said looking at the king and the towards us. "Late is the hour... in which this conjurer chooses to appear," I looked away from him and at the men, who were now slowly beginning to move closer in. "Lathspell I name him. Ill news is an ill guest," he said to Gandalf.