To Love - Chapter 3 - Star Gazing

They had reached Edoras midday, from there it was a mess and blur of activity. That night there was to be a feast held in the King's orders to honor those who had died in the Battle of Minas Tirith. And that is why Esme found herself whisked away from her companions, courtesy of Eowyn who had exclaimed for a makeover. But the lady had proclaimed that Esme was too filthy and in a desperate need of a bath, and had ordered for maids to clean her.

For the past hour Esme sat through hair tugging, skin grubbing and a lot of squealing. She was now thankfully out of the water, dry and dressed in a robe as a maid, who Esme came to know as Embria, dried her hair. It look a while for her long hair to dry, but it eventually came to point where it was suitable to be styled.

"How would you like your hair, lady Esme?" Asked Embria.

"I don't mind. Care to do what you like." Esme never really cared for what she looked like, and has hardly ever had to fuss over her hair.

Embria squealed, "I know just the thing to do." Esme smiled at the girl's obvious excitement. "You will love it!"

"I'm sure I would have loved anything you did, Embria." Embria blushed at the comment.

"Thank you, lady Esme."

"And please, just Esme." Esme felt her lightly tugging at her hair, styling it in a way she couldn't see as there was no mirror at hand.

"And I'm sure your husband will love it too." Embria commented, shocking Esme.

"What do you mean?"

"The blonde elf. He's your husband, no?"

Esme blushed. "No he is not."

"But watching you two, I thought that you were together." Esme could hear Embria's confusion and disappointment in her voice from behind her.

"No, we are just friends."

"But you wish for more, no?" Embria's statement brought another blush to Esme's cheeks.

"Don't be absurd." Esme tried to hide her embarrassment.

"Ah, but no. You do fancy him." Esme grew hot. She thought of the kiss they shared the morning she fell from the cliff, and she couldn't hide from herself that there was some affection there. She just didn't want to admit to herself that she was developing feelings for Legolas. Didn't want to face the rejection and seeing someone she cares about get hurt. She also knew a relationship between them wouldn't be possible to work.

Esme sighed. "I may like him," Embria started to squeal but Esme cut her off. "But nothing can ever happen between us."

"But why?" Asked Embria sadly behind her. "You two are perfect for each other!"

"It just can't," Esme's voice was hard, her tone obvious that she wanted the conversation to end. Fortunately, Embria picked it up and changed the topic to her hair.

In what seemed like no time at all, Embria called out that she was done. "May I see now?" Esme asked. The girl was quick to retrieve a hand mirror and hold it up in front of Esme.

Esme smiled. "You did a beautiful job," Esme's comment brought a blush to the other girl's cheeks. She really did do a magnificent job. It seemed as if Esme had transformed. The front half of her has been pulled back and braided in an intricate design down her back, some loose curls left to frame her face. Embria had placed an exquisite silver adornment through the braid completing the beautiful look.