To Know - Chapter 2 - The Fellowship is off

To Know – Chapter 2 – The Fellowship is off

Esmeralda’s P.O.V

I knew they didn’t want me to come, they thought bringing along a woman would just weigh them down. I can understand that, but I know that I must travel with them, whether they like it or not. Lord Elrond was the only one who knew that I was important to them, that was the how I became one of the fellowship.

And I as I stood in front Lord Elrond alone, after all the members of the council meeting had gone. I knew that I had made the right decision.

“Lady Esmeralda,” he began before I cut him off.

“Just Esme, please.” I smiled at him apologetically.

“Esme,” he corrected himself before carrying on, “the quest you will now travel won’t be easy. You will interfere will many dangerous problems along the way, You will face many difficult decisions, are you aware of this?”

“Yes I am aware that I will have many difficulties along the way, and I will do anything to accomplish them, even if I die trying. But I know that this is where I must help, and I will gladly do it.”

He sighed before replying, “So be it, but just know that when the time comes, you will follow your heart.”

“I don’t quite understand, but hopefully in time I’ll understand.”

“And I’m sure you will,” he smiled at me, before looking at the darkening sky.

“It’s falling dark, get rest. The Fellowship head out in the morning. I’ll have someone show you to your quarters.”

Namarie,” I smiled at him.

Namerie Esme.”

I turned and left the room. I followed a waiting elf, who stood outside the room, to my room for the night. I was alone as I entered the room, the door shutting quietly behind me.

I quickly got ready for bed, the lack of sleep finally catching up with me. I climbed into the warmth of the bed, sighing in content, this was my first real bed in months. I wrapped the blankets tightly around me and closed my eyes, before I fell in a sleeping state.

I was walking, hiking through large jagged cliffs, that seemed to stretch out for as far as the eye can see. The sky seemed dark, and up ahead was fire. The burning red flame, released dark black smoke that slithered like snakes into the sky. The fire made my eyes water, and I turned to face away from the torture. That was when I saw them.

They stood in rows, They looked like lifeless figures, as if their souls were lost. They were dark ghosts, but seemed to be filled with water. I then realized them as water ghosts, but I was confused for why they were on land. I seemed to see them as a large wave of water, but they stood still as if they were waiting for some sort of confirmation. It looked as if they were waiting for my command. And then I realized their purpose.

I had leaded them here, to set the fire that was ever growing. I was the one that could help settle the burning flames. So with a yell, I sent them charging forward. They gathered in a wave of water that leapt over my head to crash down before me. The wave gathered speed, crashing through the rock, towards the red flame. The wave rised until they reached up the flames, the wall of water towering above the flames, before it collapsed on them.

The flames screeched under the water, before it finally gave up its fight. The water flooded the ground before drying up, disappearing after it had filled its purpose. Then the scene changed before me, and I found myself running. I didn’t seem to be able to stop and I carried on, chasing something that was invisible to my eyes. Before long, I saw the members of the Fellowship before me, but their backs were turned to me and they kept on looking at something before them. Then it happened,  the great eye finally spotted me, and as if it was waiting for me it looked down at the Fellowship. One by one, they started falling down, their screams and cries piercing the air. And I watched through blurry tears, as they all sank down,     dead.

I cried out for them, but I could do nothing to help. I sank to my knees, giving up in defeat, before I was struck in the chest by multiple arrows.

I woke up gasping for air, my hand on my chest feeling for arrows, but I found none. It took some time for my brain to finally register it was only a dream, and I managed to calm down. I looked out my window, and I could see the sun at the top of the trees, slowly rising. Knowing I wouldn’t be able to fall back to sleep, I climbed out of the bed and made my outside onto my balcony. I sat there for a few hours, just looking at the rising sun. I decided I should get ready. I dressed back into my traveling clothes and packed all my belongings I had with me, into a small pack. I put all of my weapons that I carried, on their rightful places on my body. Ready, I headed out the door towards the courtyard, where I would meet the rest of the Fellowship.

Once all of the Fellowship stood in the courtyard, a group of elves came towards us, Lord Elrond was among them. He stepped forward to address us.

“The Ringbearer is setting out on the Quest of Mount Doom. On you who travel with him, no oath nor bond is laid to go further than you will. Farewell. Hold to your purpose. May the blessings of Elves and Men and all free folk go with you.” His gaze shifted from person to person. His eyes settled on me for an extra second, before resting on Gandalf as he spoke up.

“The Fellowship awaits the Ringbearer.” Gandalf declared and Frodo reluctantly turned and began to lead us out of Rivendell. I followed Legolas out through the stone archway, leaving Rivendell behind. We were off, on a great new adventure.

 Namarie...