1. First Christmas

2 YEARS AGO

Wendy Marvell sat at a round table, playing with the strands of her long hair. Her boss, Erza, had - under the influence of some of the senior workers (mainly Natsu and Gray) - thrown an office party to celebrate Christmas. Some, naturally, couldn't come, rather spending time with their families.

 Wendy was one of the new employees, and she still hadn't made many friends due to her shy nature, and she had to much respect for the senior employees to even consider herself a friend. 

As most Christmas parties, there was a Secret Santa gift exchange. Wendy had recieved another new employee; she hadn't met him, either. All she knew was that he was male - his name gave that much away - but he probably worked in a different part of the technological office. 

Wendy was in the research and developement team, but there were many, many more divisions to choose from. It was awkward, to say the least; she was too shy to move onto the dance floor or talk to anybody, so she sat there, quietly, mingling on a plate of food she'd prepared at the snack bar. 

Someone sat down next to her. He wore a simple black blouse and dress pants, which matched his eyes, yet his hair was a dark, purple-ish colour. "Hi." He grinned, and she felt her cheeks redden."H-Hello." She replied, staring at her hands. 

He opened his mouth to say something, when Natsu jumped onto a table. "LISTEN UP! WE'RE GOING TO BE EXCHANGING GIFTS NOW!" He yelled, hopping down. Wendy's stomach sunk; she still had no idea who she was supposed to give it to. 

"Ummm.... Excuse me?" She called quietly, looking up at the man sitting beside her. He flashed her another grin and leaned on his elbow, beconing her to continue. "Do you know who......" She looked down at the name tag , "Romeo Conbolt is....?" His grin widened and he nodded. "I'll just go give this to a friend of mine, then I'll bring him." She nodded in thanks, and he stood up, dissapearing into the crowd. 

A few minutes later, someone sat down next to her. Her head snapped up, and the boy stuck his hand out. It was the same one from earlier. "Hello, I'm Romeo Conbolt. Nice to meet you." She shook her hand, her cheeks red again. "W-Wendy Marvell. It's a pleasure." 

She handed him the gift stiffly, her arms trembling slightly. What if he didn't like it? She hadn't even met him before. He smiled, his eyes warm. "Thank you." He pulled her into a hug. She was stiff, her nerves going into a frenzy.

That was how she met him, and how they spent their first Christmas together - maybe not as a couple, but as more than friends.