All the Hurt A Man Can Take

Raven

I woke to the smell of bacon being cooked. I got up slowly and felt a delicious pain between my legs. Oh, sweet little Jesus Christ, Mother Mary, Joseph and the donkey that took them all to Bethlehem! That is the most delicious thing I've ever felt.  I thought to myself. 

Then I heard a voice in my head saying, I'm glad you think so, darling, but I don't think that 'delicious' pain was because of the self-righteous uncle of mine, his mother and... father or the poor donkey that carried them to the gates in which Abbadon is locked under.

I was laughing by the end but immediately tensed when he mentioned Abbadon. "No. Fuckin'. Way!" I quickly got out from under the blankets and got dressed... When I realized I was naked, that is. 

I found him in the kitchen, serving the last of the bacon, turning off the stove. He turned around with a smile biting off a chunk of bacon and asking behind a mouthful, "Want some?"

I gaped at him and said, "Jesus Christ is your uncle?" He flinched back and I noticed straight away. He shushed me came up to me and said, " Shhhhh. Kind of an uncle. More of a cousin, kind of an accident on one of my grandfather's 'righteous' benders, consisting of getting messed up, sending an angel to impregnate a girl, and sending said angel to tell her of the child of God whom is to be the savior of mankind." He grinned at that and rested his head on my shoulder, breathing in my neck. When I asked who the angel was, Lucien coughed into his hand, "Gabriel."

Suddenly, the door burst open and in came Gabriel. I grinned at him and said into Lucien's shoulder, "Speak of the Devil and he shall appear."

Gabriel, of course, heard this and turned his head grinning at me. "Now, now child. No need to be rude. I know we look alike, however my child wouldn't come out like that," he said pointing at Lucien, "In fact, my child would be an angel compared to him."

I raised a brow and said, "Oh? You mean like Jesus?"

A blush crawled up his neck and I barked out a laugh as Lucien tensed. I could feel his shoulders shake and heard, you're playing with fire, love. 

I smiled innocently at Gabriel and replied, What could he possibly do?

Gabriel opened his mouth and growled, "I was going through a rough patch after losing my brothers and sisters. I had some pent up energy and," he blushed bright red, which made me bite my lip - hiding my laughter - barely while he muttered, "impregnated a girl who was married. I went to her and blamed it on my father. It was a rebellious stage of my life that I never wish to remember," he said defensively.

I nodded like I understood, but couldn't hold my laughter in any longer. Apparently neither could Lucien.

"Oh bravo, darling. Never thought I'd see the day when one of the highest archangels, Gabriel, stuttered and flushed red like a siren, all because a young girl caught him." He had tears down his eyes when he was finished.

One of the highest archangels? Oh, yeah. There was another. What was his name again? Magnus? Miguel? Matthew? Oh yeah it was---

Just then, my door burst in. Standing in the doorway, making a shadow throughout the room, was none other than my brother. Only he wasn't my brother.

There was something different about him, a kind of age in his eyes. When I looked at Lucien, I saw that he noticed as well. He tensed and all humor was wiped from his face. Looking at Gabriel, I saw he reacted the same way. 

When my brother took in the scene, his eyes cut to mine, and softened. "Raven," he said softly. His voice was different. More mellow from his brusque baritone. He gestured to me with his arms, outstretched like he was welcoming me home, "Come here, child."