In Real Life: Chapter 22

JOE’S POV

[MOMENTS EARLIER]

I took a deep breath as I stood out on the deck in the cold. Demi wouldn’t talk to me, and Kevin and Selena just sat awkwardly next to each other. I didn’t have any clue where Nicole had gone. I thought through everything we had gone through in one short month. I had discovered my sister wasn’t my sister. I had then fallen in love with my sister. I was now fighting with my own brother for her heart. And I had hurt my best friend who I think I might also be falling for. [AN: Squeee Moment!] I shook my head hard throwing the thoughts from my brain.  

“Are you okay Joe?” Nicole asked startling me. I looked over to where she stood next to me. I hadn’t even heard her creep up. Her eyes were red rimmed from crying. Wherever she had gone the outcome hadn’t turned out well for her. 

“I’m doing better than you,” I replied. “Nicole, what’s wrong?”

“How do you know that you love someone?” Nicole asked softly. I turned to watch her, but her eyes gave nothing away. My mind rolled back to my earlier thoughts. I tried to focus on my feelings for Nicole, but images of Demi flashed through my mind. No, I told myself, I am in love with Nicole.

“Nicole, I need to tell you something,” I said suddenly. “I need to tell you how I feel.”

“Um…okay?”

“I like you. As more than a brother. Like a boy who likes a girl.”

“I’m confused.”

“Sorry,” I said close to stuttering. Why was this so hard? “I love you Nicole. I have real feelings for you. Could you ever feel the same way?” Nicole laughed as if she thought what I had said was funny. I smiled nervously not sure how she would react.  

“It’s funny. I always thought I would be having this conversation with Nick,” Nicole admitted. I froze in place.

“Nick?” I asked unable to form any other words.

“Um…yeah,” Nicole said softly. “I think a part of me has always had some feelings for Nick. We’re so close and spend so much time together. He used to be my twin. I don’t suppose you have any idea if he’s ever felt the same about me?”

“Actually, I do,” I said surprising myself. A small smile lifted her lips igniting the jealousy inside me. I had just told her how I felt, and she tells me she is interested in Nick?

“Did Nick tell you something?” she asked hopefully. I watched her eyes knowing they were begging me to say that Nick felt the same. I couldn’t tell her the truth. Nick couldn’t win her this easily. Nicole was supposed to be the girl I ended up with. A sudden flash of Demi’s face hit my subconscious, but I shook it away. “He’s in love with Demi.”

“Demi?” she said crestfallen. The look on her face almost swayed me to tell her the truth.

“They’ve been keeping something from all of us. Don’t you see? They have been dating in secret.” I couldn’t seem to stop the lies as they spilled from my mouth. “They obviously don’t want anyone to know. I’m sorry that you found out this way.” Nicole walked forward and wrapped her arms around my waist. As she snuggled closer for comfort I silently wondered why I had lied so thoroughly. I had promised Nick to fight fair for Nicole, but I had resorted to lies to get this far.

“I think maybe we should go on a date,” Nicole mumbled into my chest.

“Really?” I asked knowing the idea sprouted from her hurt more than anything. “Sure.” We stood there in the silence of the room neither one of us pulling away. I tried my best to push aside the guilt I felt for lying to her. As I hugged her closer I ignored her hot tears as they soaked my t-shirt. If I hadn’t lied to her she would be with Nick, and I couldn’t lose to Nick. Nicole finally pulled away several minutes later.

“Thank you Joe,” she said with a sad smile.

“What are you thanking me for?”

“For telling me the truth.”  I smiled weakly down at her, but my brain ran a mile a minute. My conscience continued to call me a horrible person and a liar. In other words, the truth.

[Season 2 coming up soon! Sequel is coming soon! ]