In Real Life: Chapter 4

NICK’S POV [AN: Changing it up just a little bit here.]

I hung up from my phone call with Demi just as Kevin and Joe walked into Nicole’s room.  I figured Nicole would wander the neighborhood for about an hour before racing over to Demi’s. Demi had promised to keep her safe until I got there.

“Dad just took mom to bed,” Kevin said studying the trashed room. “Where’s Nicole?”

“She took off,” I said walking over to pick up one of the pictures Nicole had thrown earlier. It was of her and our mom. Wait, I mean my mom. I dropped the picture frame as the thoughts continued to jumble in my head.

“We have to go after her,” Joe said in a panic. He always panicked when Nicole was upset. Nicole was the one girl who rattled Joe. “She could be anywhere right now.”

“She’ll end up at Demi’s before the end of the night,” I said casually. “I’ll go get her and bring her back when she’s ready.”

“It’s probably better if we let her cool off,” Kevin added. “Mom and dad would like to tell her the circumstances of her—birth once she’s ready to hear them.”

“I just can’t believe that they lied to us all these years,” I said suddenly tearing up. “I grew up believing Nicole was my twin and it’s all a lie.” My brothers said nothing. They both patted me on the back before leaving the room. I collapsed onto Nicole’s bed and pulled the comforter around me. I smiled as I realized that I could smell Nicole’s body spray on the blankets.

I was mad and kind of happy all at the same time. When they had all been grilling me earlier about my crush I had freaked out. The truth was I had been half in love with Nicole for the last few years, maybe most of my life. I had tried dating other girls like Miley, but that hadn’t worked out. Miley had figured out pretty quickly that I had a bad case of lust for my little sister and had promptly dumped me. Despite how close I was to Nicole she still didn’t see it. Maybe the buffer of having me as her brother prevented her from seeing me as anything more.

When mom and dad had told us all that Nicole was adopted I had to keep myself from smiling. For the first time she wasn’t my baby sister. She was a girl I had every right to go after. A girl I had every right to love in every way possible. I had followed Nicole up to her room only to see her lash out in anger. She was hurting, and all I could focus on was how much I wanted to kiss her. God, I was such an idiot.

“Hey bro,” Kevin said walking into the room dangling his car keys. “I just realized that you are going to need a ride to pick Nicole up. In case you’ve forgotten you just got your license, and mom and dad don’t let you drive at night.”

“Thanks Kev,” I said unwrapping the covers and walking over to Nicole’s dresser. I picked up the smashed photo on the top of the dresser. It was of me and Nicole celebrating our last birthday. She looked so beautiful in that picture. I folded it up and stuck it in my pocket. If I totally lost Nicole I could at least keep a good memory with me.

“You can’t tell her you love her, you know that right?” Kevin asked walking up behind me. I jumped and turned to face him. How could he know--? “She can’t deal with that kind of revelation right now.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I replied.

“Sure you don’t. It’s okay if you are in love with Nicole.”

“Of course I love Nicole. She’s my sister. My twin.” I winced. “Was my twin. But she’s still my sister as far as I’m concerned.”

“No, you’re in love with her. And it’s not familial love. Why do you think I keep pushing you to date Selly? To get you to focus on another girl? Any girl? Nicole won’t be able to handle you telling her that you are in love with her. She’s upset and confused. The family she thought was her family isn’t.”

“So, I’m supposed to just pretend that I don’t love her? That I don’t want to spend every second of my life with her? I’m just supposed to hold my emotions in?” I asked finally giving up. It felt good to finally be able to talk to someone about this. “I’m just supposed to ignore how I feel about her?”

“If you really care about her, yes,” Kevin said walking out of her room with me and outside to the car. He didn’t speak again until we were inside the car and on our way to Demi’s. “It hurts. Trust me, I know how much it hurts. But if you really love her you’ll be her support as she works out this whole situation. As she tries to figure out who she really wants to be.”

“Will I ever be able to tell her how I feel?” I asked looking over at Kevin who stared angrily out the windshield.

“That’s a question I’ve never been able to answer myself,” Kevin said softly. We reached Demi’s house and Kevin and I just sat there for a few minutes in silence. I unbuckled my seatbelt and opened the car door, but something stopped me. I turned back to look at Kevin.

“I understand that right now I need to take it slow. That I have to wait to tell Nicole how I really feel, but what are you waiting for Kevin? If you love Selena then just tell her,” I said as I hopped out of the car.

[AN: So much unrequited love! I am trying to post a lot this week because I am off on vacation at the end of next week and will be away from the laptop for a whole week!]