In Real Life: Chapter 19

CHELSEA’S POV

“Do I look okay?” David asked straightening his tie once again.

“Should I knock or just go in?” Nicole asked rocking back and forth in front of the door.

“You two crack me up. Stop being nervous. It’s just a family dinner,” I said knocking on the door and walking in. I figured the Jonas’ expected Nicole to just walk in as if she still lived there. Nicole had promised to be there for Sunday night family dinners, and I wasn’t going to let her skip out because she was nervous. I had phoned Mrs. Jonas who had invited David and I to join them. My family with David was steadily growing. “We brought a cake!” I called out.

“We were just about to sit down to dinner,” Mrs. Jonas said smiling at our entrance. I grabbed David’s hand and quickly sat down next to Kevin and Nicole’s friend Selena. It appeared that everyone was here for the Sunday dinner. David sat to my left followed by Joe, Nicole, Nick, Mr. & Mrs. Jonas, Demi, Kevin and then Selena who was next to me. I tried to engage Selena in a conversation, but she was entirely focused on watching Kevin who merely glared at Nick who was watching Nicole closely who eyed Joe nervously who kept sneaking glances at Demi. It appeared that a lot more was going on than dinner with this group.

“Are they taking good care of you?” Nick asked Nicole loudly. “Because if you don’t like it there you can move back. Your room is still here.”

“You make it sound like we’re torturing her,” I snapped back at him. “We love Nicole and take great care of her.

“Sure you do,” Nick said his voice dripping with sarcasm.

“Nicholas,” Nicole said in a warning voice. “Stop it. You don’t get to insult my family.”

“Your family?” Nick asked in disbelief. “We are your family. You’ve known them all of a week.”

“I need some fresh air,” Nicole said getting up from the table. Nick started to get up, but Nicole shot him a dirty look forcing him to sit down. I excused myself and followed after her. “He’s just angry about me moving out. Don’t let him get to you.” I smiled as I sat down beside her on the grass in the backyard. She leaned closer resting her head on my shoulder.

“He’s very protective of you,” I said. “It makes sense when you guys grew up as twins.”

“But we’re not twins,” she said softly. “It’s like a nightmare and a dream come true all in one.”

“How long have you been in love with him?” I asked. She remained silent making me wonder if she would answer my question.

“When we were twelve I figured it out. Selena had always liked him, and I was so jealous whenever she flirted with him. But he was my twin brother so it was out of the question. Now—now I don’t know what to do,” Nicole said with a sigh.

“You could tell him how you feel,” I suggested.

“No,” Nicole said assuredly. “I couldn’t risk him saying that he didn’t feel the same. Maybe I should focus on someone safer. Someone who has already shown me how he feels.”

“So Joe?”

“Do you read minds or something? How did you know?”

“Joe has made it pretty obvious how he feels about you. Can you really see him in place of Nick?”

“I have to, don’t I?” she asked standing up and walking back into the house. I let her go wondering how I could convince her that she was wrong. Couldn’t she see the way Nick looked at her? It was the same way David looked at me. Why was she so afraid to take a chance?

“Are you going to sit out here all night?” David asked walking over to where I sat in the backyard. “Dinner kind of dispersed after you guys left. Everyone is just hanging out.

“I’m worried about your sister,” I said.

“She’ll figure it out. I figured it out too,” David said pulling me up next to him. “And whoever she ends up with will have to deal with me.”

“Protective big brother?”

“Something like that. Let’s go back inside.” I took his hand and followed him into the house. Mrs. Jonas welcomed us as she sliced up the cake. I surveyed the room noticing that Nick and Nicole were both missing. Joe was trying to get Demi’s attention while she ignored him in favor of her cake. And Selena sat nervously next to Kevin as they talked. I felt David squeeze my hand before whispering into my ear. “They’ll all figure it out. Just be patient and give them the time they need.”

“You know I’m not patient,” I said earning a chuckle from David. I leaned into his side and prayed that everything worked out sooner rather than later.

[AN: Where are Nick and Nicole?]