In Real Life: Chapter 8

NICK’S POV

My grin was wide as I sat down at the lunch table next to Nicole. I had been so happy to see her in homeroom that I hugged her before class started. She hadn’t said much, but I was just happy to have her back. I hadn’t slept well at all last night. I was finally able to sleep a few hours by crawling into Nicole’s bed in her room. I snuck out of her room before anyone found me though. Nicole eyed her lunch nervously.

“Is there any chance that I could share your sandwich?” Nicole asked. Because she had spent the night at Demi’s she was forced to buy her lunch. I smiled as I pulled my lunch from my sack revealing two of everything. “You are the best twin ever!” she squealed as she grabbed the extra sandwich. She leaned over and kissed my cheek. My heart flipped at the innocent contact.

“There you guys are!” Selena shouted excitedly as she pranced over to our table towing Kevin along behind her.

“Don’t you two have a different lunch?” I asked with a groan. I really didn’t need to deal with Selena hitting on me right now.

“We have the school newspaper this period,” Selena shot back. “We have every lunch. [AN: I was on my school paper. We really did have the freedom to go to every dang lunch.] Besides Kevin wanted to check up on Nicole.” I looked over at Kevin who smiled over at Nicole.

“Are you going to come home tonight baby sis?” Kevin asked gently.

“Yes,” Nicole said. “I want to talk to mom and dad about my biological parents. I want to meet them.” Kevin leaned forward and kissed her on the forehead.

“We’re here for you,” Kevin said. “Remember that okay?” Nicole nodded as Kevin and Selena sat down opposite us. “So how has the school day been for you guys?”

“Kevin and I came up with this great idea for an article,” Selena said. I ignored her as she blathered on and on about the idea she had created with Kevin. Something seemed off for some reason.

“Is it just me or does something seem weird to you too?” Nicole asked leaning in to whisper in my ear. “Like we missed a moment or something?” I nodded continuing to study Selena as she talked. That’s when I realized it. She was looking at Kevin in adoration the whole time. Nicole nudged me and pointed to the top of the table where Kevin had placed his hand over hers.

“Are you two dating?” I asked interrupting Selena. She looked down towards their joined hands and pulled hers free. I saw Kevin’s face fall, but he didn’t reach for her hand again.

“Kevin and I are friends,” Selena said offering no more explanation. I opened my mouth to speak again when Demi slammed her tray down on the table on my other side.

“Are you okay Dems?” I asked. She only glared so I followed her gaze. She was staring at Joe again. She was so determined to not hurt her friendship with Nicole that she had never told Joe her true feelings. “What happened?” I asked in a whisper.

“How can I like someone who doesn’t even know I exist?” Demi asked softly. I leaned over and brushed the tear from her cheek. “He’s never going to like me Nick.”

“I’m sure Joe didn’t mean to do whatever he did. He does care about you.”

“Not like he cares about Nicole.” I didn’t get a chance to ask Demi what she meant because Joe walked up to the table and sat across from Demi.

“Nicole,” Joe said. “What are Demi and Nick talking about?”

“How should I know?” Nicole asked.

“Nick never keeps secrets from you,” Joe said. “You have to know.”

“Well I don’t,” Nicole said watching me suspiciously.  Joe shrugged his shoulders before eating his lunch. I heard Demi sigh next to me as Joe stole food from her tray without asking. It seemed he was aware and unaware of Demi all at once. “Joe, stop stealing Demi’s lunch.”

“Relax Nicole,” Joe said flashing a smile. “Demi is one of my best friends. She doesn’t mind.”

“I’m not hungry anymore,” Demi said standing and exiting the cafeteria. Nicole stood up to go after her, but I held her back.

“Let me go,” I said standing and leaving. I was halfway across the cafeteria when I heard Joe talking to Nicole.

“Seriously,” Joe said. “You have absolutely no clue what Nick and Demi are hiding?”

[AN: Not my favorite chapter, but it will get me where I want to go. I just had my annual review at work and it went fine, but I could use some happy comments. So tell me your favorite part of this story so far in the comments. Please?]