In Real Life: Chapter 7

SELENA’S POV

Don’t cry. Don’t cry. Don’t cry. It had become my newest chant. I could feel the tears threatening the edge of my eyes. They had been there since last night when I saw the truth behind Nick’s feelings. I don’t know why I never saw it before. Maybe I just didn’t want to see it. To see the love Nick had for Nicole. He had become so possessive of her in that moment, and that’s when I saw it. He was in pain because he loved her so much. I suppose that’s why Miley gave up on him so quickly. She must have seen it as well. Did Nicole even know that Nick was in love with her?

A small piece of folded paper landed on my desk in front of me. From the scrawled writing on the front I Knew it was from Kevin. I peeked over at him where he sat diagonally from me. He had a hopeful smile on his face. He thought I was finally over Nick, but I wasn’t. There was still a chance that I could get Nick to like me as long as Nicole was his sister. But now; she was another girl for him to fall for. Another girl who wasn’t me. Another folded piece of paper landed next to the previous one. I groaned and unfolded the latest note.

KEVIN’S NOTE: Talk to me. You can cry on my shoulder.

I frowned and scribbled back a reply.

SELENA’S NOTE: I don’t need a shoulder to cry on. Leave me alone.

K: I know when you’re trying not to cry. You still like Nick don’t you?

S: Leave me alone.

K: Not going to happen. I really need to talk to you. I want to tell you something. I think it will cheer you up.

S: I know what you want to talk about and it won’t.

I sighed as I tossed the note back again. I couldn’t be positive, but I think Kevin wanted to tell me that he liked me. Anyone I ended up with after this Nick fiasco would just end up getting hurt. I still loved Nick despite knowing that he loved someone else. I wasn’t going to lose my best friend because he decided that he was in love with me.  The piece of paper landed back on my desk.

K: Why is Nick the only Jonas you can see in that way?

Crap. He really wasn’t going to let this go.

S: I’m not willing to lose my best friend.

K: Some of the best relationships start out as friendships.

S: Some of the best friendships end because of relationships.

He refrained from passing anymore notes for the rest of class. I sighed with relief as the bell rang and grabbed my things racing out of class. I had made it all the way to my locker before Kevin caught up with me.

“Sel, why won’t you give me a chance?” Kevin asked as I opened my locker.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I said hiding my face in my locker. Please let him just go away for now. I couldn’t face him right now. Kevin grabbed my arm and turned me around so I was facing him and backed against the row of lockers. He looked angry. Never in my life had I ever seen Kevin angry. Annoyed, yes, but never angry.

“I get it,” Kevin said. “You still have feelings for Nick. Those aren’t going to go away overnight. But I love you Selena.”

“You’re my best friend Kevin,” I pleaded. “I can’t lose that.”

“Don’t you get it?” Kevin asked with a deep sigh. “If you just gave me a chance you wouldn’t lose anything. You would gain so much more.” I looked up into his eyes and realized that I had started to cry. But these tears were happy tears. Kevin loved me so much. He always protected me and took care of me.  He was hurting so much watching me throw myself at Nick. I moved closer until there was no space separating us. Quickly, I leaned in and kissed Kevin on the lips. He seemed surprised, but then relaxed into the kiss. It was minutes later when we finally separated.

“You’re right,” I said. “I can’t just get over Nick. And I don’t want to. He’s my first love. But maybe over time my heart can heal and move onto someone else. Maybe even you,” I said.

“Fine,” Kevin said softly kissing my cheek. “I’ll wait until you’re ready. Just promise you’ll tell me when your heart is ready for someone else?” I nodded and Kevin kissed my lips lightly again. My heart still ached for Nick, but for once I didn’t feel like crying.

[AN: Finally someone kisses in this stinking story! Do you think Selena will get over Nick now that Kevin’s in the picture?]