In Real Life: Chapter 6

DEMI’S POV [AN: Just keeping it in Nicole’s POV limits the story too much.]

“Demi!” Joe shouted out as he ran towards me. “There you are! I’ve been looking everywhere for you.” I allowed myself a small moment to bask in the idea that Joe was looking for me because he wanted to talk to me. Selena came up next to me and smiled that creepy fake smile she had plastered onto her face since last night. “So where’s Nicole?”

“Gee Joe,” I snapped. “Would it kill you to say ‘hello Demi, how are you today?’ before ignoring me for Nicole?” Joe looked at me curiously. I couldn’t help it. Joe always made me lash out in anger. He made me so mad the way he ignored me. I think I was madder at myself for lapping up the small bits of attention he gave me like some damn golden retriever. Nicole was my best friend, and we had promised long ago that we wouldn’t let a boy come in between us. That’s why my crush on Joe was a secret to everyone except for Nick. He had promised to keep my secret saying that he understood what it felt like to be in love with someone you could never have.

“Uh, sorry?” Joe said uncertainly. “Hello Demi. How are you? Do you happen to know where Nicole is?”

“I’m afraid that’s the best you’re going to get,” Kevin said walking over to join the group. “Selly, can we talk?” Selena’s fake smile fell and she muttered something about having to get to class before the bell rang. I watched as she propelled herself down the hall away from Kevin.

“We still have ten minutes before classes start,” I said looking at my watch. “Is there a problem in best friend city?” I asked Kevin.

“That’s exactly the problem,” Kevin said walking off after her. I looked at Joe, but he seemed just as confused as I was.

“So, where is Nicole?” Joe asked again. I hated the jealousy that reared up in me at his energetic tone. He loved Nicole, and she was his sister. I had nothing to worry about. Except now she wasn’t technically his sister anymore.

“She ran off to homeroom the second we got here,” I said.

“Well that explains why Nick disappeared the minute we walked in the door,” Joe said.

“Are you sure they’re not twins?” I asked on a laugh. “He always knows where she is.”

“He grew up with her. They spend all their time together. Heck, they usually share the same bed. I’m pretty sure Nick didn’t get a lick of sleep last night with her out of the house. Did she say if she was coming back to the house?”

“She mentioned going back to talk to your parents. She wants to search for her birth family.”

“Oh,” Joe said softly. He looked so heartbroken I couldn’t help but hug him. He relaxed in my embrace for a short moment before pulling away. “I’m fine really, Dems. You don’t have to coddle me. If Nicole wants to find her birth family then she can. I’ll even help.”

“Really?” I asked trying to look directly in his eyes. “You’re really willing to give up your sister to another family?”

“She’ll meet them and then she’ll realize that we’re the best family for her.”

“Joe? Now that you know Nicole isn’t your biological sister does that make you see her any differently?” I asked. I couldn’t help myself. I just had to know. “Like as more than a sister?” He stood there for a minute contemplating the question before moving to his locker to get a book. I followed directly behind him. “Joe?”

“I don’t know,” Joe said looking down at his chemistry book. “Nicole is special to me. I always assumed that was because she’s my sister, but—“ he paused for a moment. “Would it be so bad if I did?” I felt my heart sink. I couldn’t believe this. Joe liked Nicole, and now that barrier of her being his little sister was no longer there.

“I have to go,” I said turning to head down the hall. Joe reached out and grabbed my wrist. I cursed my heart for speeding up at the innocent contact. “Let me go Joe.”

“Dems, you won’t tell anyone right?” Joe asked. I looked up into his pleading eyes. I shook my head no, and watched as he visibly relaxed. “Nicole has a lot to deal with right now without me adding this to it all. Thanks Demi.”

I shook off his hold and marched down to my homeroom. Of course I wouldn’t tell anyone. Why would I tell everyone that the boy I was in love with was in love with my best friend? I’d suffered enough humiliation already.

[AN: What are your thoughts on Joe’s confession?]