In Real Life: Chapter 13

NICOLE’S POV

I smiled as Joe slid back into the booth. He had made sure I was seated and had a soda to drink before excusing himself to take care of something. He had been gone for almost half an hour.

“What do you want to eat?” Joe asked with a grin.

“Joe, can we please just go home?” I asked softly. “I just want to decompress.”

“We can’t go home yet. We have to stay here a little bit longer.” I looked at him in confusion. Our waitress walked over and Joe ordered what sounded like half the menu.

“Joe, I know you eat a lot, but I think you might have overdone it with that order.”

“I’m not eating all of it myself.” I started to tell him that he couldn’t console me with food when we heard a ruckus at the front door of the restaurant. I looked up to see a guy and girl arguing as they made their way into the restaurant.

“Do you think she’ll like my outfit?” the blonde asked as they walked ever closer.

“Chels,” the brunette guy said. “We’re not here for people to admire your outfit.” They finally came to a stop in front of our table.

“It’s nice that you could make it,” Joe said with a smile greeting the couple

“Oh my god David,” the blonde said. “She looks just like you. Hi! I’m Chelsea.” My hand went out to shake hers automatically. I looked over at Joe wondering what was going on.

“Hi, I’m David,” the guy said. “I’m your brother. Chelsea here is my fiancée.” [AN: That’s right! The new characters are David Henrie and Chelsea Staub! I am always putting David Henrie in these stories. I love his muscly arms. *drools*]

“My brother?” I asked choking on the sip of soda I had just taken. “How did you--?”

“Joe called around until he found me,” David said moving to sit next to Joe while Chelsea slid in next to me. “I’m glad he called. I have a feeling Mom might have never told me that you came to see her.”

“She seems a little distracted,” I said not wanting to voice my belief that she was most likely an alcoholic.

“She’s an alcoholic only concerned with herself,” Chelsea said sourly. I watched as David shot her an exasperated look. “She is David.”

“Mom kind of took a turn for the worse after Dad died,” David said ignoring his fiancée. “He was her first and only love. When she lost him she lost herself.”

“How did he die?” I asked.

“He was military,” David said. “He died in combat. Mom never got to tell him that she was pregnant with you. After you were born and adopted out, she sent me to live with our grandparents.”

“I have grandparents?” I asked wondering when I could meet them.

“They passed away a few years back,” David said. “I’m afraid you and I are the only ones left besides mom in our family. We’re the last of the Anderson family.”

“Nicole Anderson,” I said softly trying out the name. It sounded right. The name fit me. “I’m glad that I got to meet you.” I smiled at David watching eyes that mirrored my own.  

“I’m glad you ended up with such a supportive family,” David said with a smile that mirrored the wedding photo on our mother’s mantle. He looked just like our dad did at that age.

“And you have such a great boyfriend by your side too,” Chelsea added in. I looked over at Joe who simply smiled.

“Uh—Joe’s not--,” I stuttered. “That is Joe was—is—he’s one of the sons of Mr. and Mrs. Jonas. My adoptive family.”  It felt odd to refer to Joe as my brother with my real brother sitting across from me.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Chelsea said with a blush. “I didn’t realize. My mistake.”

“So are you going back to the Jonas’ after this?” David asked.

“I don’t know,” I said honestly. “I’m a little confused, and nowhere feels like home anymore. I would like to get to know you better.”

“Then if you want you can move in with Chelsea and me?” David said. “We have a little apartment together, but there’s a guest room. You’d have to take the bus to school, but—“

“David give the girl a chance to answer,” Chelsea said interrupting him. “Would you like to move in with us Nicole? I’d like to get to know my future sister in law.” I looked over at Joe who was frowning. Did I want to move?

[AN: Do you like the new characters?]