In Real Life: Chapter 12

JOE’S POV

“Could you knock?” Nicole asked looking up at me. The entire car ride had been silent as we traveled to the address Mom and Dad had given Nicole. She had wanted to go alone, but I had insisted on coming. I was kind of surprised she had allowed me to come and not Nick.

“It’s just a door,” I said giving it a hearty knock. We heard rustling from the other side and then the door opened. An older, trashed version of Nicole stared back out at us. It appeared that time hadn’t served Nicole’s mother well. “Um, hi.  I’m Joe Jonas and this is—“

“Nicole,” said the woman as she opened the door wider. “Come in.” Nicole shrugged and led the way as we entered the house. It was a basic ranch house with little knick knacks strewn about. Nicole walked over to a small mantle and studied the pictures there. “Why did you come here?”

“I wanted to meet my biological family,” Nicole said facing the woman I presumed was her mother.

“So they told you,” the woman said. “I suppose this means I’m not going to get my money.” I frowned as I realized she was more upset about losing the money than anything Nicole might be feeling. This wasn’t going to be good.

“Are you my mom then?” Nicole asked sitting down on the dilapidated couch.

“I gave birth to you, yes,” the woman snapped. “Not that it did me any good. Just another whiny mouth to feed. Don’t think you’re going to get anything from me. Go ask those rich adoptive parents of yours.”

“What is your problem?” I asked. “Nicole just wanted to meet you—I’m sorry. What is your name?”

“June,” the woman snapped. “June Anderson. Don’t get cross with me young man. I’m a grown adult and can make my own decisions.” I winced as she tipped another beer bottle to her mouth and finished it off. The room was surrounded by alcohol bottles of all kinds. “I’m not interested in being a mother. I thought that was clear when I put you up for adoption. If you aren’t here to give me money, then you can leave.” Nicole nodded before standing up and walking towards the front door. I followed wondering why she hadn’t broken down. She paused by the mantle and pointed to a picture of a man and woman on their wedding day.

“Is that my father?” Nicole asked.

“Yup,” June answered. “He up and died on me too. Bastard.” Nicole simply shook her head and walked to the door. We were halfway home before her body started to heave with sobs. I pulled into the nearest exit and parked outside a restaurant.

“Nicole, talk to me,” I said gathering her up into my arms. She let me hold her as she cried. “How can I fix this?”

“You can’t Joey,” Nicole said sobbing into my chest. “I found them. I found them and they don’t want me.” I just continued to hold her as her tears soaked through my t-shirt.

[AN: I know you’re all like poor Nicole. But this part had to happen so I can introduce two new characters!]