In Real Life: Chapter 10

NICOLE'S POV

 I sat on the living room couch with Nick beside me. I smiled as he tugged me close and wrapped an arm around me. Nick had always been there for me. Sometimes…I wish he would see me as more than his twin. I pulled myself from those thoughts and focused on what my adoptive parents were saying from the sofa in front of me. It still felt weird to know that they weren’t my birth parents.

“When I was pregnant with Nick there was a twin,” Mom said. “Unfortunately, we lost that twin early on in the pregnancy. Luckily Nick survived.” I watched her flinch as Dad rubbed her back. “We didn’t know how to tell Kevin or Joe so we just didn’t.”

“So you went looking for another baby to adopt?” I asked still confused.

“No,” Dad said taking over the story for mom who kept watching me with tears in her eyes. “I brought your mom into the hospital to have Nick. There were complications with his birth so we stayed at the hospital for a week. During that week your mom met your biological mom.”

“She confessed to me just how scared she was,” Mom said. “She already had one child, and your biological father had just passed away. She didn’t think she could take on the added burden of another child. I don’t know what came over me, but I offered to adopt you. I know it sounds selfish, but I wanted to take two babies home like we originally planned.”

“And she agreed to let you adopt me?” I asked.

“Once we all agreed to the adoption everything went through so quickly,” Dad said. “Her only condition was that we name you Nicole.”

“I thought it was fate,” Mom said with a teary smile. “Nicholas and Nicole. I took you home as Nick’s twin. The boys were so thrilled to have a baby sister. Kevin and Joe used to fight over who got to hold you.”

“Why did you keep it a secret? Why not just tell me I was adopted?” I asked.

“At first, we just wanted to wait until you were old enough,” Dad said. I felt Nick pull me closer. “Then I guess we just thought it didn’t matter. You are our daughter. Nothing can change that for us.”

“Were you ever going to tell me?” I asked hearing the anger in my own voice. I felt bad for yelling at them, but I just couldn’t believe they could keep a secret like this.

“We got a letter,” Dad said ignoring my question. “It was from your biological mother. She contacted us wanting money to keep you from finding out you were adopted. She’s in bad straights right now and desperate. We visited her and told her that we intended to tell you the truth. I don’t know why we waited until now.”

“We have her address if you want to meet her,” Mom said reaching out to touch me. I flinched and pulled backwards. Mom looked hurt, but she didn’t say anything. Dad pulled out a piece of paper and handed it to me. I looked at the scrawled handwriting that spelled out an address just two hours from here. My biological family was just two hours away. Mom and Dad said nothing as they walked out of the room.

“Cole, are you okay?” Nick asked rubbing a hand up and down my arm. “Do you want to meet them?”

“Do you remember that time I tried out for the high school play?” I asked snuggling closer.

“Of course I do,” Nick said kissing the top of my head. “You practiced that monologue for hours. I think I can recite it myself.”

“Yeah,” I said. “I really wanted to be in that play. I practiced so hard, but when I got to the audition I just froze. The student director just sat there laughing at me. After the cast list was posted I volunteered for the stage crew. I was desperate to be a part of the production in some small way, but they didn’t need any more crew members.” I reached up to my cheek surprised to find that I had started to cry.  

“What exactly does this have to do with finding your biological family?” Nick asked pulling me until I sat in his lap as he dried my tears.

“What if they don’t want me either?” I asked blinking back my tears. Nick reached over and brushed a strand of hair out of my face.

“You’re amazing, beautiful, and the girl of every guy’s dreams. How could they not want you?” Nick asked kissing me on the forehead. I snuggled close enjoying Nick’s warmth.

“You are the best brother ever,” I said leaning my cheek against his t-shirt covered chest.

“Brother,” Nick murmured dully. “That’s right. Just your brother.” I felt my eyes grow heavy as I fell asleep in the safety of Nick’s arms.

[AN: Posting like crazy before my trip!]