In Real Life: Chapter 3

“All I’m saying is that you could go on one little date with her,” Kevin said as we walked into the house after school. “Give her a chance. She’s a wonderful person.”

“I know she’s a wonderful person,” Nick replied. “I just don’t like her like that.” Kevin had spent the entire ride home trying to talk Nick into going out on a date with Selena.

“If you go out on a date you might change your mind,” Kevin tried.

“Or it won’t,” I said cutting in. “Kevin, it would just hurt her more to go out on a date and then have Nick reject her again later. If you care so much then why don’t you try to convince her to focus on someone else.”

“Believe me, I’ve tried,” Kevin said. “But she only wants Nick.”

“If you want I can go out with her,” Joe said. “Once a girl goes out with me she forgets all other guys.”

“Stay away from Selena,” Kevin said suddenly angry.

“Relax Kevin,” I said. “Joe’s just kidding.”

“Besides, Joe would be better off dating someone who can stand up to him like Demi,” Nick added in.

“All right,” I said. “All of you stop it. No one needs to be dating any of my friends. In fact, I’m laying down the law right now. My brothers are not allowed to date any of my friends.” They all exchanged looks before ignoring me and returning to the subject at hand.

“So if you aren’t interested in Selena then who are you interested in?” Kevin asked Nick. I looked over curious as well. Nick had once dated that Miley girl who went to our school, but the relationship lasted all of a week. He never did tell me why they broke up. It was the one secret he had managed to keep me from me.  Nick looked over at me and smiled sweetly before walking into the living room ignoring Kevin’s question. “Tell us who you like, Nick.”

“Good, you’re all home,” my mom said walking into the room with my dad close behind her. “Take a seat. We need to talk.” I plopped down on the couch next to Nick and rested my head on his shoulder. Nick moved away until there were several inches between us. That was odd. Nick and I cuddled all of the time. I wondered what was wrong with him today. I looked over and he seemed nervous for some reason. I leaned onto Joe who sat on my other side.

“So what’s up mom?” I asked happily. “Does this have anything to do with why you guys were gone this morning?” I watched as my mother began to cry. My mom was the sweetest woman on Earth, but she never cried. There was no need for her to cry. My dad rubbed her back and took over.

“Yes it does have to do with our absence this morning,” Dad said unhappily. “There’s something we have been keeping from all of you. We didn’t intend for it to be a secret, but it just turned out that way. Now we’re forced to tell you the truth before someone else reveals it.”

“What are you talking about?” Kevin asked shooting a concerned look at mom who was all out bawling now.

“Nicole,” Dad said. “You’re not Nick’s twin.” I felt the ground move beneath me.

“What? But we’re the same age. We have the same birthday. Of course we’re twins,” I said reaching out and grabbing Nick’s hand in mine. Nick looked just as confused as I was.

“That may be true, but you’re not twins,” Dad said calmly.

“Are you trying to tell us that Nicole isn’t our sister?” Joe asked the question we were all thinking.

“She is your sister in every way that counts!” Mom sobbed finally speaking. “We wanted her. We still want her. But we had to tell you the truth before you found out some other way.” I pulled my hand from Nick’s as I sat there in shock. I know everyone always made the joke that I looked different from my family, but I never took it to heart. And now my parents—strike that—the Jonas’ were telling me that I wasn’t a Jonas. That my brothers weren’t my brothers.

“Nicole,” my dad said walking over to me and crouching until he was eye level, “sweetie, you’re adopted.” I wiped my eyes surprised to find that I had started to cry. “If you want to find your real family we’ll help you to do that. But in our hearts you’re still our little girl.”

“And you’re still our little sister,” Kevin said walking over and putting a comforting hand on my shoulder.

“I’m not your sister. I never was your sister,” I shouted before running from the room. I ran upstairs to my room and started throwing all of the family photos that were scattered around the space. I picked up a photo of me alongside Kevin, Nick, and Joe on our last family vacation. I grabbed a bag and shoved a few overnight items into it along with the picture.

“Cole,” Nick said appearing in the doorway, “What are you doing?”

“I have to get out of here,” I said frantically. “I have to figure out what’s going on. Who I am.”

“You’re Nicole Jonas. My baby sister and twin.”

“No. That girl never existed. She was just a lie,” I said opening the window. “Goodbye Nicky.” I jumped down from the window and raced off not sure just where I was headed.

[AN: Now that she knows she’s adopted what will happen? I have no clue since I am writing as I go here.]